News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wire Stripper Suggestion?

Started by Micpoc, December 15, 2012, 09:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

I have the same set, it was a little pricey, but it was well worth it.

Quote from: stevie1556 on December 16, 2012, 09:54:39 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on December 16, 2012, 06:04:50 PM
There are the ones I use:

I use these, but a different make. Work great everytime and been using them on and off (mostly off) for about 10 years now.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

wolfingsworth

I use a craftsmen version of those Ideal ones. I would also recommend anything from Klein tools.

jeffaroo

my neighbor uses like that. he heats up a little tiny (carmax tin) of solder, strips the wire, dips tips in a cup of flux then to the molten solder to tin. He does a bunch before a build
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

EllsworthDean

while you are in need to cut wire,you like to pick from a list of best wire strippers.It is exactly that what you are looking for with individual reviews. http://smartkitchenpicks.com/best-wire-strippers

devilsnight

My wire stripper is masterforce from menards. At five bucks a pair it works pretty excellent. Take in mind I'm a mechanic by trade and use Snap-on/matco on a daily basis, very expensive for what they are... If your in the midwest I would highly recommend the cheap store brand! Works great for up to 24ga wire

flanagan0718

I have a pair of the Harbor Freight ones. They've lasted about a year and a half now. At five bucks I couldn't have asked for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EBRAddict

After watching all of Coloccia's YouTube videos on pedal building I bought a used thermal wire stripper from eBay. Teledyne Kinetics TW-1 Stripall Thermal Wire Stripper.

It works great with all the gauges of wire I use. Even 18awg teflon coated. And no nicked strands. It's not as fast as that Ideal stripper linked above, though.

pickdropper

Quote from: EBRAddict on December 10, 2016, 07:53:10 PM
After watching all of Coloccia's YouTube videos on pedal building I bought a used thermal wire stripper from eBay. Teledyne Kinetics TW-1 Stripall Thermal Wire Stripper.

It works great with all the gauges of wire I use. Even 18awg teflon coated. And no nicked strands. It's not as fast as that Ideal stripper linked above, though.

Yeah, thermal wire strippers can be cool at times.  I have an American Beauty power supply that I've been thinking of grabbing stripping tweezers for.  Hasn't been the highest priority but one of these days.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

drolo

Quote from: EllsworthDean on December 10, 2016, 06:57:04 AM
while you are in need to cut wire,you like to pick from a list of best wire strippers.It is exactly that what you are looking for with individual reviews.
That is one heck of a first post, reviving a 4 year old thread with some spamming ... ;-)

mrclean77

I thought the same thing.

I use Irwin auto strippers I got at Lowe's. If I were somehow forced to stop using that tool (or something similar), I would honestly consider giving up the hobby. To me, the only thing(s) more essential would be an iron and my eyes (and the latter ain't getting any better  :-[ ).

Donleo

mrclean77

My bad experience from the Walmart version of that almost kept me from getting the other kind (kinda like the pic at the top of this page). If you try to the other design, it will change your life.

8)

bsoncini

M'y first job working as an electrician they gave me a pair of Klein like this

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Kurve-Wire-Stripper-Cutter-11055/100630708

I've continued to use them. Very durable. Lasts for years. 10 years later I'm on my second pair.  Even survived cutting through live and neutral wires at the same time on numerous occasions. The ones with smaller gage are perfect for electronics.

Jules

Huh, I use a cigarette lighter! soften plastic insulation with heat, rip it off.

ste13

Quote from: Micpoc on December 15, 2012, 09:48:49 PM
My old, cheap Xcelite wire stripper is pretty much shot now - takes two or three passes to strip, and will no longer cut all but the thinnest cable -  so I'm in the market for a decent, longer-lasting solution for all my wire stripping needs.  :)

Any suggestions?
If you still confused finding the best wire stripper. We have written Top 10 List to help you right https://besttoolexpert.com/wire-strippers-buyers-guide-and-review/.