News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wire Stripper Suggestion?

Started by Micpoc, December 15, 2012, 09:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micpoc

My old, cheap Xcelite wire stripper is pretty much shot now - takes two or three passes to strip, and will no longer cut all but the thinnest cable -  so I'm in the market for a decent, longer-lasting solution for all my wire stripping needs.  :)

Any suggestions?

alanp

I've got a good pair of Ideal Electrical wire strippers, they work a treat, got it when I was working on my first amp :)

Unfortunately, even the smallest gauge on them is bigger than the wire I use for pedals (much smaller than amp wire.)

So I just use my sidecutters for stripping wire. They see a LOT of use in everything from cutting component leads after solder, trimming wires to length (and stripping), cutting zip ties when I'm redo'ing the pedalboard, and even trimming my nails.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Haberdasher

well i've only been using mine for a couple of years but i really like my klein tools kurve wire strippers, model # 11057.  Got them at home depot for about $18. These do 22-32 awg stranded.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

hammerheadmusicman

I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

jeffaroo

Yep...I second the Klein strippers. Not only do they work good for stripping, but the tip lifts the beer tab pretty darn good too !
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

pickdropper

I use the stripmaster automatic wire strippers.  I only use hand strippers when I have to (like with Kynar wire).

Paladin makes really nice strippers too, but they are close to $100.  The ones I got were under $30.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

PimpMyTone

Simon

Bassman

I use an automatic stripper from Radio Shack.  $19 and is quite possibly my favorite tool in my shop.  My only problem with them is if I need to strip a short wire in a tight spot but that is what razor blades are for lol..

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932546

mandrewbot3k

I use a razor blade. Come to think of it, that's probably why i hate all of the offboard wiring bits.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

jeffaroo

radio shack tools put bad mojo into your builds
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

Bassman

Quote from: jeffaroo on December 16, 2012, 08:48:23 AM
radio shack tools put bad mojo into your builds

But they work so well!  :D

dodgechargerfan

Quote from: Bassman on December 16, 2012, 07:10:36 AM
I use an automatic stripper from Radio Shack.  $19 and is quite possibly my favorite tool in my shop.  My only problem with them is if I need to strip a short wire in a tight spot but that is what razor blades are for lol..

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932546

I have something similar to that but not from Radio Shack.
Likely from the same factory though.

I have the same problem as you mentioned: impossible to use in tight quarters.

Those Rolson snipper/strippers look great. I'd love to have a set of those.
I can't seem to find a source in North America though.

Micpoc

Thanks for all the suggestions, guy. Now just have to decide.

Micpoc

Quote from: dodgechargerfan on December 16, 2012, 12:02:09 PMThose Rolson snipper/strippers look great. I'd love to have a set of those.
I can't seem to find a source in North America though.

These look to be quite similar... http://www.amazon.com/Klenk-Two-Wire-Cutter-Stripper-Small/dp/B0007ZKMU6

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper