News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Confessions of a filter whore...

Started by raulduke, December 11, 2012, 04:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

Frequency Central FTW!

They also do a Moog Rogue filter and VCA clone which is a ladder filter I believe.

That's next on the list for me.

Rej; got the Kraken lined up and ready to go. Need to get some of the special parts in for it though.

In other news, I blew up two VTL5C3's last night prototyping a TI filter chip  :o

Thats £8 down the pan  :'(

micromegas

Quote from: raulduke on March 19, 2014, 09:45:39 AM

In other news, I blew up two VTL5C3's last night prototyping a TI filter chip  :o

UAF42?
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

raulduke

Quote from: micromegas on March 19, 2014, 10:05:03 AM

UAF42?

Thats right. Sounds ok but nothing to write home about. I'm not sure how much they cost either (got samples from TI). That could be the decider!

May be cheaper just to use LM13700n for filtering duties.

micromegas

Quote from: raulduke on March 19, 2014, 10:06:37 AM
Quote from: micromegas on March 19, 2014, 10:05:03 AM

UAF42?

Thats right. Sounds ok but nothing to write home about. I'm not sure how much they cost either (got samples from TI). That could be the decider!

May be cheaper just to use LM13700n for filtering duties.

Hehe, LM13700 is magic, my favourite IC at the moment.

oh... and forgot to mention: http://es.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/UAF42AU/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuo%252bmZx5g6tFAPp%252bHcYlYz3

if it is about cost, then UAF42 is a dead end...
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

mattlee0037

Madbean posted a 1590b mutton 3 on Facebook I think? 8)

alanp

Soldered up a MS20 filter based on Rene Schmitz's schematic, in Eurorack format. I don't have a front panel for it, so no build report yet.

But damn this thing sounds good. Filthy, too -- I think it would work well with overdriven guitar.

I added an audio input pot for Lowpass, as per Scott Stites' recommendation (couldn't work out how to get the Highpass to be both switched-jack and also have a pot on the input.) Other than that, as per Schmitz's schematic (down to the CA3080's -- bought 25 at some point, still have 23 left.) Edit -- fabbed boards, too :) two stacked ones, as per my Minimoog VCF 2.0 build.

It's fun looking at how the LED clippers in the resonance feedback opamp react to twiddling the Resonance and Frequency pots. Resonance controls the brightness, Frequency controls how fast they blink :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

raulduke

Nice!

I would love to build and MS20 filter for my Eurorack.

Here is my standalone unit running on +/- 9V. It's the Rene Schmitz but with a preamp beforehand (SHO) and using LM13700 rather than CA3080

Got a Madbean Kraken waiting to be boxed up as well. The filter obsession never ends.