News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Unnamable

Started by pickdropper, December 08, 2012, 04:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

First of all, apologies for the lousy cell phone pics.  It was a bit overcast and this was the best of the lot.

This is a SMT version of the Timmy.  Pretty straight forward build.  The diodes are indeed very tiny, though.

There wasn't enough contrast with the laser etch, so I backfilled it with red paint.  Usually I would use red or black instead of red, but I may keep this.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jkokura

Sweet Dave. I like it!

What's the finish called on that one?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

hammerheadmusicman

Are you insane? I don't think I could see those to pick them up, never mind solder them on to a board!?!

In all seriousness, this is a frickin sweet build!

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

pickdropper

Quote from: jkokura on December 08, 2012, 04:16:12 PM
Sweet Dave. I like it!

What's the finish called on that one?

Jacob

Thanks Jacob.  It's the black hammertone from PPP.  I probably won't use it again for laser etching though as you could barely see the lettering before I back filled it.
Function f(x)

juansolo

Hewn from purest awesome.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pickdropper

Here is a *slightly* better picture.

Function f(x)

wgc

That's some really nice work!

The soldering looks great, is that your own layout?

I think the colors are cool, works great with the graphics.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

pickdropper

Quote from: wgc on December 08, 2012, 06:06:11 PM
That's some really nice work!

The soldering looks great, is that your own layout?

I think the colors are cool, works great with the graphics.

Thanks.  Yeah, I did the layout for this.  I've actually improved the layout quite a bit since sending this to fab, but this rev board works fine.  The clean-up was just to make the layout look nicer, nothing functional.
Function f(x)

nzCdog

Teeny tiny and Super tidy assembly!  Even your cellphone does pretty good pics  ;)

wgc

Let me know if you're going to offer pcbs for sale..!  Great layout.

Laser question, if you're willing?

When you etch your boxes, are you going right to the bare aluminum, or just marking the paint?

I tried a etching a few more powdercoated blanks the other day.  I had two colors that marked as a grayish variant of the original with halfway decent contrast.  2-3 more passes might improve it, though I think there's a point of diminishing returns. 

Another color marked but without much contrast, I think I would have to go deeper and then backfill, like you did here, or go right to bare metal.

So I could see using all three of these approaches, but curious to know your thoughts for better planning.  I'm thinking a lot of it for me is going to be trying something and reacting to results as appropriate.

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

midwayfair

Great work ... every time I see you post these SMD circuits, it makes me more and comfortable with the idea of trying one out.

I like the staggered knobs, too.

Ettore_M

Awesome, pickdropper! As always! You are the man who gets me even more interested in SMD every time I see your builds.  ;)
Can I ask what diodes and IC did you use? Also, where do you send your boards for manufacturing?

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

MattOcaster

Well clearly size does matter!
SMD for the win!
Check out my Blog :D
www.SonicTitanFx.com

rowland1

That "tiny Tim" is awesome. Love it. Nice work.

Om_Audio

Sent via soup cans and string.