News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What are the important specs & values on Transistors Datasheets

Started by Meowy, December 04, 2010, 06:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meowy

Then once you can find that information how do you begin the process of determing the appropriate resistor values for the transistor junctions to comply with the specs? I guess what I am asking is how do you begin to design a circuit from the tranny-up?

I notice that many FET circuits employ gate resistors on the order of 1M - 10M, but BJTs base resistors are typically under 500K. I assume this is driven by current requirements, but if anyone can shed some light, thanks in advance.

madbean

stecykmi

transistor design is fairly complex and can really take some practice before you can just throw circuits together. most engineers take several courses in electronics before they graduate, and really only the ones who've taken electronics courses as electives go one to do any kind of professional design in that area.

one thing about transistor design is that there isn't all that much difference from one device to another, which is why so you can use many different transistors as drop in replacements for a lot of circuits.

in audio design, where you're almost always operating in the linear region, arguably the most important characteristic is gain, but it doesn't actually mean as much as you might think. it also requires some analysis to find actual gain of a circuit, as it's not a simple multiplication factor, it's dependent on topology and values of components.

anyway... if you're serious about learning this, i suggest reading a lot (lots of information about this online), and doing some testing of your own. you might consider taking a course at a community college, if they have that sort of thing in your area.

an oscilloscope is probably the best possible tool to learn about these things, but you can also use a audio probe. I also suggest making an oscillator as a circuit input signal. it frees up your hands to do other things. This has been a reliable circuit for me.

http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/q&dosc.pdf

good luck, you'll soon find you're in way over your head. it's more fun that way, though.

Meowy

I wasn't looking to get too deep into it. I am really just seeking an empirical knowledge to better understand basic 1 and 2 transistor boosters, fuzz, etc

stecykmi