News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

amp kit II

Started by jeffaroo, November 30, 2012, 06:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffaroo

i really wanted to build a 1-2 watt tube amp, but as im looking deeper into it i see all these warnings.
now im getting scared. is it just a normal 110v shock? one guy told me to expect to launch out of my chair doing 3 backflips, spilling my beer and prying my dick out of the sheetrock on the other side of the room ! is it really that bad ? im thinking of staying with the "tiny" build now    :o
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

nzCdog

DC voltages in tube amps can be lethal.  Plate Voltages are frequently around 400V.  Not a project you'd undertake lightly :)

juansolo

Have to admit when I built my amp I was super methodical due to the voltages involved.

Built it over a few days.

As I'd been staring at it for a few days I then had Cleggy go through it step by step with the schematic to make sure I hadn't done anything stupid (I had a switch wired backwards, but nothing serious).

Checked all the grounds were good.

Powered it up without valves and went through a test sheet getting voltages. Which is the first scary bit to be fair.

Then again with the valves in.

Only after I was 100% certain it was solid did I consider it done.

I do recommend it though. It's very satisfying and lethal voltages aside, easier than doing pedals as everything is just so big. I had a friend go over mine who builds amps for a living and the only thing he really picked me up on was the capacitors slammed next to the biasing resistors. He said that at some point they'd likely fail as the resistors will get exceptionally hot. So when they do I'll put the new caps in and give them a little distance.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

slimtriggers

Pedal building tends to be the gateway drug to amp building :)

When I built mine I went so far as to attach a short wooden dowel to the test lead for the DMM.  I kept one hand in my pocket, and used the dowel when probing around for voltages :D  I'd read so many warnings and disclaimers that I was SUPER nervous about touching anything.  Fortunately it fired right up with no problems. 

It's definitely the most rewarding thing I've built.

DutchMF

Quote from: juansolo on November 30, 2012, 10:24:53 AM
As I'd been staring at it for a few days I then had Cleggy go through it step by step with the schematic to make sure I hadn't done anything stupid (I had a switch wired backwards, but nothing serious).

Checked all the grounds were good.

This is some seriously good advice! I haven't gotten to an amp build myself, but when I do, I'll be sure to let somebody more experienced check it over before switching on the juice......
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

alanp

Amps were my gateway drug, I was far more comfortable building amps than pedals. Valves can take a second or two of abuse, whereas semiconductors go POP in a heartbeat.

Plus they tend to be nice and roomy compared to 1590B's. Well, my next build is in a cake-tin chassis, so might not be that nice.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

TNblueshawk

Quote from: jeffaroo on November 30, 2012, 06:46:16 AM
i really wanted to build a 1-2 watt tube amp, but as im looking deeper into it i see all these warnings.
now im getting scared. is it just a normal 110v shock? one guy told me to expect to launch out of my chair doing 3 backflips, spilling my beer and prying my dick out of the sheetrock on the other side of the room ! is it really that bad ? im thinking of staying with the "tiny" build now    :o

Your friend is right. I took it that serious and always will. You don't build when tired, drunk or both.

Also, you don't need to get shocked to put your dick into sheetrock  :D
John

crash

My first (and only, so far) amp build was the Firefly amp.  Built it this summer and love it!  Added a TMB tone stack to it.  Just make sure you do one of the more well known amp builds that has a good set of instructions.

djaaz

Ordered this as a first: http://www.musikding.de/Kits/Madamp-Kits/Kit-Madamp-A15Mk2-deluxe::1205.html

Time to get hand dirty. A lot of stuff are lethal around us, with proper precaution i hope i can make it out this build alive.
I have a simple strategy:
I will not put my hands in the circuit once it has been powered because i won't need to.
If i need to, then i'll keep my left hand in my pocket, discharge & check the caps  before doing anything.

If i do not post anything in the next three weeks, don't be sad and consider me gone.

alanp

Wooden chopsticks are traditional poking sticks (and tapping, to see if a cap or valve has gone microphonic.)

Do continuity checks on every net before you power up (and between every net and ground, especially between B+ and ground.)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

gordo

You will have to put your hands in a live amp to check voltages etc.  The best advice in this thread is the hand in pocket thing.  Make yourself a capacitor drain and always check for voltage on caps (electros).  Other than that relax and have fun. You'll likely get bit sooner or later and it hurts, not that I'd know this from experience...  Getting flustered and rushing during troubleshooting is usual breakdown of safety standards so just be aware of what you're doing.

The first time you make an amp that sounds even remotely good you're screwed because amp building is at least as addictive as pedal building.  :D

"Hi...my name is Gordo...I'm here tonite because I build amplifiers..."
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

chordball

Quote from: gordo on December 01, 2012, 03:01:08 AM
You will have to put your hands in a live amp to check voltages etc.  The best advice in this thread is the hand in pocket thing.  Make yourself a capacitor drain and always check for voltage on caps (electros).  Other than that relax and have fun. You'll likely get bit sooner or later and it hurts, not that I'd know this from experience...  Getting flustered and rushing during troubleshooting is usual breakdown of safety standards so just be aware of what you're doing.

The first time you make an amp that sounds even remotely good you're screwed because amp building is at least as addictive as pedal building.  :D

It's definitely much more addictive than pedals for me. The only reason I build more pedals than amps is cost.

Keeping your left hand in your pocket (so the high voltage will not pass directly through your heart if you accidentally shock yourself) is a very good idea. Wear thick rubber-soled shoes and be at your highest awareness. I'm not an expert by any means but I've been building and repairing/tinkering for about 5 years now (and reading for years before that) and even I slipped up a couple of weeks ago and got zapped while working on my vibro champ. It is very scary. I'm not trying to deter you but you should make sure you are comfortable with what you're doing.

Another thing is to build cleanly. The last thing you want is to troubleshoot a rat's nest of wires at lethal voltages. It will also pay off in that you will reduce risk of excess noise by keeping your wiring short and neat.

Here's my 5E3 and vibro champ guts (although I will be changing the red heater wires to green cloth-covered wire soon to match the rest of it)

juansolo

Quote from: gordo on December 01, 2012, 03:01:08 AMThe first time you make an amp that sounds even remotely good you're screwed because amp building is at least as addictive as pedal building.  :D

This is the truth. Built mine, sounded brilliant and my first comment was "right, which one should I build next?".

Since then I've been pondering between an Ampmaker PP-18 with SL-18 mods. Or a full on version of the amp I've just built with mods from what I think would be cool for a higher power version (a second pre-stage to bring the gain back up after the tone stack, I'd fix the fat on and remove the tone stack bypass as the extra tube should compensate (in theory), reverb, more power tubes, power scaling).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

gordo

VERY impressive builds!!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

alanp

Agreed, damn impressive lead dress.

I've been told, though, that that style of filament wiring is bad practice in tweed cake-tin chassis', because then the AC voltage going to the filaments is right next door to the components on the board (as opposed to Marshall-style, where it's against the outer lip and about as far away from everything else as you're gonna get in something that cramped.)
- Terry Pratchett
My website