News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Labeling Knobs with Stamps

Started by claytushaywood, November 29, 2012, 06:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

As much as I would love to learn Inkscape or photoshop and do awesome etchings or labels, i just dont have the motivation to spend that much time to learn and effort with each circuit.  I'm just not good with that kind of software too.  As my pedalboard collection grows it's becoming increasingly difficult to remember what knob does what... impossible actually.  I really dig the look of the stamped letter to label pots- like the JHS dude does. 

I was wondering if anyone has done this- and if I could get some info about how to go about labeling knobs in this fashion?  IE: what kind of ink?  would i need to clear coat?  stamps?  where to obtain materials?

Any information is MUCH appreciated!!!
Thanks
Clay

claytushaywood

the title might be confusing- i'm talking about stamping the enclosure surface rather than the knobs. 

PimpMyTone

I ve never found an ink especially made for metal but I tried with colorbox pigment stamp pad ink and it gaves mixed result.

1. It looks like it will never dry on gloss finish . ( even after clearcoating )
2. Give better results on matte finish or direct on the metal .
3. you need to clearcoat with that type of ink .
4. If you dont like the result you can normally erase it with isopropyl alcohol ( i use the 99.9 % one ).
5. stamps and ink are expensive : you can find some at Michael s store in North America .
6. I suggest you try sharpie oil based paint pen before spending money on stamps ... but maybe you can do better than me with those things .
7. Excuse my bad english .

Green pedal semigloss finish : using colorbox gold stamp pad
unfinished case pedal  : the sunface is a stamp , knobs lettering with sharpie oil based pen

Simon

gtr2

StazOn ink works great and does not wipe off unless you want it to. (with isopropyl alcohol)  There is no reason to clear coat it and it is pretty durable.

You can find it cheaper on the net but they sell it at Michael's and AC Moore in the states.  They often have 50% of one item coupons.

Josh

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

icecycle66

I second Staz-On ink.

It also comes in a bunch of different colors.

claytushaywood

I'm thinking I'd like to do some graphic decals with waterslides and use stamps for labeling pots and whatnot... do you all know if the staz on CAN be clear coated?

also, do you guys have any pictures I can see of your work?

Thanks so much!

Oh, and a recommendation for good stamps would be great?  i'd like to get some cool fonts possibly!

Liustucru

icecycle66

I bought some letter set stamps from this guy at ebay. I think they are a nice size.  Fonts are too crazy though.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Crafts-/14339/i.html?_ipg=&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=race4ma

If you are just looking for knob labels, something more simple like this might be better.
http://www.staples.com/2000-PLUS-Custom-Stamp-Kit-with-Wood-Handle/product_614107?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:614107&KPID=614107

slimtriggers

I've had different results with stamp ink and clear coat.  I use powder coat, though, and the high temperature may have had something to do with it.  The one I had the most trouble with was Staz On Metallic Silver.  It just melted into the base coat.  I've had good results with other inks, though.

I guess my best advice would be to experiment on a piece of scrap first.

claytushaywood

Quote from: icecycle66 on November 29, 2012, 07:22:19 PM
I bought some letter set stamps from this guy at ebay. I think they are a nice size.  Fonts are too crazy though.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Crafts-/14339/i.html?_ipg=&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=race4ma

If you are just looking for knob labels, something more simple like this might be better.
http://www.staples.com/2000-PLUS-Custom-Stamp-Kit-with-Wood-Handle/product_614107?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:614107&KPID=614107

"font are too crazy"  did you mean "not too crazy"...

Do you have the stamp kit from the second link you sent me?
what stamps did you use for those pedals?

I like the idea of being able to line them up with that second stamp kit, but i like the variety of fonts you have there

icecycle66

you are correct.
THe fonts are not very crazy.

I bought two stamp sets from ebay. The bold letters on the Loop Hole and the boxed in letters on the Zombii are those two sets. 

I did also buy the secend stamp set, the one from Staples. The knob labels on the Zombii are from that set.

claytushaywood

Quote from: gtr2 on November 29, 2012, 12:59:52 PM
StazOn ink works great and does not wipe off unless you want it to. (with isopropyl alcohol)  There is no reason to clear coat it and it is pretty durable.

You can find it cheaper on the net but they sell it at Michael's and AC Moore in the states.  They often have 50% of one item coupons.

Josh

I'm having trouble removing the ink when i make a mistake.  I have 70% isopropryl alcohol, do I need something higher?  I can get it mostly off but it leaves a gray residue (black ink) no matter how quickly I take it off (less than 3 seconds)

pickdropper

Quote from: claytushaywood on November 30, 2013, 09:31:46 PM
Quote from: gtr2 on November 29, 2012, 12:59:52 PM

Josh

I'm having trouble removing the ink when i make a mistake.  I have 70% isopropryl alcohol, do I need something higher?  I can get it mostly off but it leaves a gray residue (black ink) no matter how quickly I take it off (less than 3 seconds)

Are you wiping the ink off a a powder coated enclosure or a painted enclosure?  Powder coat can usually withstand isopropyl without issue.  Paint, not always.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Gledison

Quote from: claytushaywood on November 29, 2012, 06:11:21 PM
I'm thinking I'd like to do some graphic decals with waterslides and use stamps for labeling pots and whatnot... do you all know if the staz on CAN be clear coated?
Hey, if you are planning to use waterslide decal anyway, why not print your own labels for the pots as well? you can easily use the fonts on WORDS for example. I find it very simple and you can clear coat without problem, and look quite pro as well.
cheers
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

culturejam

Once StazOn is good and dry, I find that it can be removed with friction. Just rub your finger back and forth across the ink and it will peel away. It turns into almost a rubber-like substance when dry. Or at least the plain black does.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects