News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Capacitor values and markings

Started by TreeSlayer, November 28, 2012, 12:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeSlayer

hey there! i'm a VERY newbie here and in the world of electronics. i'm going to build  a Retrograde. i'm having a little trouble figuring out the caps values. all of the charts i've found don't seem yo add up to the bill of material listings. for example, the BOM calls for a 47uF at C8. when i look at my charts, the closest thing i've found is a 0.47uF, cap code 474. is this correct? thanks in advance for any help. LT
"At the line it's just you, me and the tree." the TreeSlayer

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

madbean

.47uF is the same as 470n, so it's a value 100 times smaller than 47uF.

Simple shortcuts:

.001uF = 1n = 102
.01uF = 10n = 103
.1uF = 100n = 104
1uF = 105
10uF = 106

TreeSlayer

k... so 47uF and 0.47uF are the same. correct?

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

gingataff

No, as Bean said the 0.47u is 100x too small.

Maybe think of it like this, 0.47u is roughly one half (0.5) a "u" whereas 47u is almost 50 "u"s.

TreeSlayer

k. got it. the problem i'm haveing is i can't seem to find these values. not just on the charts, but also in the online store, such as Small Bear Electronics. i'm trying to find everything in one place, so as to save on freight charges.

gingataff

You are probably looking under film type caps, try looking under electrolytic caps.
I'd be surprised if small bear dont have any.

TreeSlayer

wow! cool! uF mF are the same, correct? if so,  i'm down to 220R, 470R and 1k2 resistors...

TreeSlayer

does the voltage rating matter on caps?

jkokura

Only that they need to be high enough.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gingataff

Quote from: TreeSlayer on November 28, 2012, 02:33:41 AM
wow! cool! uF mF are the same, correct? if so,  i'm down to 220R, 470R and 1k2 resistors...

Looks like SB use mf instead of uf so 47mf would be right, as for voltage anything above 16v is fine for the retrograde.
Some pedals such as the kingslayer bump up the voltage so you need a minimum of 25v for those.

TreeSlayer

thanks, gingataff! the value mixing is a tad confusing, but i'm finding it's quite common. i'm getting it, slowly but surely. it took me the better part of three hours to find most of the parts. i still have a half dozen more to find. it'll get easier with time. i'm hoping the PCB shows up today!

madbean

As far as the madbeanpedals projects:
- Anything between 1n and 680n should be a film cap. Use caps rated between 16 - 100v.
- 1uF will be film or electrolytic depending on what is doing in a particular circuit. Anything above 2.2uF is electrolytic. 16v is okay for most projects, a few projects require 25v rated caps.
- Anything below 1n is ceramic, but you can also use film or even silver mica if you want.

TreeSlayer

thanks, Brian! just a couple more questions, and i'll leave y'all alone. is a 1kB and a 1 meg-ohm pot the same? a 500kA and a 500K? and for the life of me, i can't seem to find anything that remotely resembles a 220R or a 470R resistor. thanks a million! LT

icecycle66

Silver mica for the expensive mojo win!

TreeSlayer

thanks, Angelo! i think i'll stick with what i've found so far. i tried to look at the silver mica's, but there was nothing in the small bear site that was compatible, going by my "limited" (take that as NO) knowledge about electronics. :{D