News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Don't usually post questions like this... Your Top 3 Vintage Fuzzes?

Started by Scruffie, November 27, 2012, 12:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

As I gradually move away from the hobby and use up the last of my parts I decided to use up an old ruined over drilled case I had for some pedals i'll never actually purchase but may like to experiment with in the future.

And as I have some Vintage silicon & germaniums transistors and diodes (both leaky ones and good) I figured i'd make a vintage dirt multi effect.

So, what are all your favourite fuzzes (or boosts/overdrive if they're particularly interesting) I figured i'd probably fit 3 footswithes in a sideways 1590BB, plus probably a toggle for an input J-FET Buffer (I know a lot of them hate buffers but I might experiment, i'll add an input resistance pot after it) and an output Octaver circuit to get some octave fuzz, probably a green ringer.

I have a Tonebender MkII built and done, i'll be doing a seperate Rangemaster so they're not required.
Works at Lectric-FX

JakeFuzz

I would definitely say the MKII and the RM are necessary.

I really like a good NPN Ge fuzz face. I would say an old style big muff should be on the top of the list too.

I've been very interested in the more obscure fuzzes like the standard or the beebaa but haven't heard many of them in person so I can't speak to their utility. The percolator for me is one of those weird lesser known effects that just kill it at a number of things and may be worth putting on the list.

Scruffie

Quote from: JakeFuzz on November 27, 2012, 12:36:13 AM
I would definitely say the MKII and the RM are necessary.

I really like a good NPN Ge fuzz face. I would say an old style big muff should be on the top of the list too.

I've been very interested in the more obscure fuzzes like the standard or the beebaa but haven't heard many of them in person so I can't speak to their utility. The percolator for me is one of those weird lesser known effects that just kill it at a number of things and may be worth putting on the list.
That's why they're getting seperate boxes  ;) Plus I had the perfect transistors for them (Vintage Mullard OC44 with only 50mA of leakage and 150hFe!).

I think I only have one NPN Germ left so possibly a D*A*M Meathead type fuzz face, I only like them full gain any way with the volume knob for gain. Doesn't have to be NPN though as i'm happy (and will probably be using) charge pumps or just running the whole thing off batteries anyway. I did consider doing a seperate Fuzz Face pedal but not sure...

The Mosrite Fuzzrite did take my interest for that In a Gadda Da vida fuzz sound (which is fairly interesting) which i'm told it can pull off.

The Big Muff... i've only ever tried one once or twice and although I remember it being okay, watching you tube demos it just didn't do it for me, I think if I have one it'll just be a second hand new USA big muff, if I really want I can pull the PCB and stick a new one in. I feel like I should have one but... that might be the only reason, to have one.

I saw Mark Hammer singing the praises of the Percolator on DIY, I of course only know of it from Albini but can't remember the sounds much from when I checked demos. Certainly a weirder one though I know that.

The Superfuzz/Foxxtone had me interested because of QOTSA, that and they're octave fuzzes but they are a bit more complex build wise (not that i'm afraid of complex but space could be an issue with lots of footswitches, the jacks, battery and toggles) and I wonder if the Greenringer at the end + whatever fuzz before will suffice for simmilar sounds.

Other stuff that gets a lot of interest is that one the Jesus & Mary Chain used (Shin-Ei?) Baldwins Burns Buzzaround (I recall this being simmilar to a Tonebender, just happened to be used by Frampton) The Maestro FZ-1 cause of Satisfaction (other than being honky though it doesn't seem to have much variety) the Jordan Bosstone (don't know anything about this). Not sure if the MkI is different enough from the MkII Bender to be worthwhile?
Works at Lectric-FX

GhostofJohnToad

I vote for a percolator.  It's very musical and interacts very nicely with boosters.  It's such a simple small circuit too. Although it does sound a bit better with single coils.  Not sure if that matters or not.

Is there a particular sound you are going for?

Scruffie

Quote from: GhostofJohnToad on November 27, 2012, 01:42:38 AM
I vote for a percolator.  It's very musical and interacts very nicely with boosters.  It's such a simple small circuit too. Although it does sound a bit better with single coils.  Not sure if that matters or not.

Is there a particular sound you are going for?
I use singles and P90s a lot so that's fine, if i'm using humbuckers I probably wont be wanting vintage fuzz sounds any way. Percolator seems like a popular one at the moment then and the Mosrite is one that I have been interested in as I said so we'll put them as the front runners for now, what can go 3rd?

I did think about this, just the most varied but independant selection of 60s & 70s fuzz tones (or modern musicians using rarer fuzzes) I can get from 3 boxes and experiment with, retro and weirder are probably the best bets... not that that helps too much.

Stuff I can experiment with and also stuff I can get those classic fuzz tones with... I don't stick to one genre or sound, whatever is taking my fancy at the time be that Modern Death Metal to some 70s Ballads, Prog Rock or experimental tones etc. hence 'Your top 3' not mine, I have those in the MkII & Master.
Works at Lectric-FX

atreidesheir

Lunar Module - so much better than just a ff
Octavia (with octave switch) I like the fuzz without the octave. it rips.
Soulbender - the best tonebender to me.

I love big muffs, but I think it is its own thing.  Double muff with master volume and stupidly wonderful tone control tacked on is pretty great too.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

Scruffie

Quote from: atreidesheir on November 27, 2012, 03:07:18 AM
Lunar Module - so much better than just a ff
Octavia (with octave switch) I like the fuzz without the octave. it rips.
Soulbender - the best tonebender to me.

I love big muffs, but I think it is its own thing.  Double muff with master volume and stupidly wonderful tone control tacked on is pretty great too.
I've played my friends old double muff in the past, nice, but not hugely inspiring, I think i'd probably just buy a double muff too.

Octavia... that's transformer based isn't it? I only have one of those radioshack mini transformers left and it's ear marked to make an amp out of my last 5840 & 12AU7 tubes.

Soulbender, a modded tonebender with a tone control doesn't seem necessary with the MkII, i'll check out the lunar module though, I don't know that one.

I think from the feedback so far and a quick bit of research Mosrite, D*A*M Meathead & Percolator, probably remove the Percolator input gain as everyone says it sounds best full gain but have an input volume pot for all the pedals and overall output volume pot for running them in to each other with a foot switch to turn all 3 on or off then have a toggle for the input J-FET Buffer (if I like it after trying on the breadboard) as I said and a toggle for the green ringer at the output of the 3 fuzzes (or may be some other simple transistor octave circuit).

Only one i'm unsure of is the Meathead... that could still go.
Works at Lectric-FX

jkokura

Quote from: Scruffie on November 27, 2012, 03:53:09 AM
i'll check out the lunar module though, I don't know that one.

Scruff, PM me your address and I'll send you a PCB.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Scruffie

Quote from: jkokura on November 27, 2012, 04:17:28 AM
Quote from: Scruffie on November 27, 2012, 03:53:09 AM
i'll check out the lunar module though, I don't know that one.

Scruff, PM me your address and I'll send you a PCB.

Jacob
Hey Jacob,

Thanks for the offer but i'm planning to design a PCB layout with everything on one board then hopefully trade stuff to have someone etch it for me, two birds with one stone as I get rid of even more stuff  ;)

Cheers again though! Very nice offer  :)
Works at Lectric-FX

jeffaroo

Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

jtn191

Not adding much by saying I really like my Big Muff (triangle w/ tone switch that removes filter caps and mids pot) and MKII (sounds sweet when the guitar has a G&L style bass roll-off).

From what I've heard on the DAM forum, MKI's require a lot more fine tuning/transistor selection. They tend to be "spitty-er" and have raspy, crisp attack. Kinda sound like a slightly misbiased fuzz.

Scruffie

Quote from: jeffaroo on December 08, 2012, 09:12:45 AM
Add a OCD to the set an your golden !

OCD' a fuzz isn't it?

Quote from: jtn191 on December 10, 2012, 03:30:18 AM
Not adding much by saying I really like my Big Muff (triangle w/ tone switch that removes filter caps and mids pot) and MKII (sounds sweet when the guitar has a G&L style bass roll-off).

From what I've heard on the DAM forum, MKI's require a lot more fine tuning/transistor selection. They tend to be "spitty-er" and have raspy, crisp attack. Kinda sound like a slightly misbiased fuzz.
Yeah i've read much the same on MkIs, sure the difference isn't worth it enough when i've got the MkII.

I like the muff with a diode lift for the Jumbo Tonebender sound, that was my favourite mod.

Saw a DIY design called the Toecutter by Rnfr on freestompboxes, meant to be a doomy germanium fuzz, could be fun...
Works at Lectric-FX