News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Collosalus chip substitutions

Started by Axe_34, November 23, 2012, 07:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axe_34

I think I know the answer to this, but can I substitute a V3207 in IC9 for the stock MN3007?

Also, I couldn't get my hands on a LM7815 so I picked up a LM317 from Small Bear. It's a TO-220. I'm hoping it will suffice as the power regulator.

DutchMF

As far as the IC goes, no you can not... This project is strictly MN3007 only  :( The power requierments of the two IC's are different, check the Porkbarrel and Currentlover docs for more info. I'm not sure about the LM317, you should compare the datasheets for a definitive answer

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

alanp

the v3207 is based on the mn3207, which runs on a lower voltage (collosalus pumps 15V into it), and has a different pinout for the power pins anyway.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Scruffie

You could use the 3207 if you're willing to make a little perf/vero daughterboard and leave out the charge pump (no need for a regulator then either).

Isn't the LM317 a variable regulator? That needs to be set with resistors I think although i'm not sure.

You can't find a 7815 or 78L15? They're pretty common (woulda thought smallbear had them)... a 7812 would suffice as well at the cost of a small amount of headroom.
Works at Lectric-FX

Axe_34

Thanks guys. Small Bear sells the 78L15, so I'll order one at the same time as the 3007 ($10.95! grrr!)

I've got a Lowrider build to tide me over.

DutchMF

Don't know where you are located, and if you need more stuff, but the MN3007 is cheaper at Banzai, on today's dollar-to-euro rate. If you order some more stuff (they have some really nice LED bezels, knobs, IC's, +9V jacks) from them, then it might be worth the extra shipping.... Can't beat Smallbear for Alpha pots though!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Axe_34

Thanks. I'm in Canada. I really wanted to be put on order in at Mammoth today -- they've got a great Black Friday sale on -- but no 3007s.

GermanCdn

If you're in Canada, it's actually cheaper to order everything from Banzai.  Shipping will be 9 Euro (up to a pound, and that's a lot of parts), and they ship post not courier, so you won't get dinged with brokerage charges.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

LaceSensor

seems expensive for the 3007.
I can get these for about £3 inc the clock driver 3101.