News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rangemaster

Started by jkokura, December 01, 2010, 03:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Hey guys!

I finished this late last week. I've shot some footage to make a demo, but I think I want to redo it so...

(Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr7pNQ2vITY)

This Rangemaster I started working on over the summer. It went through two delays because at first I didn't order the right parts, or rather, I ordered parts that didn't end up fitting the bias requirements for the NOS CV7003 I got from Smallbear. So I had to wait for another order from Mouser which only happens once in a while. Plus, I also had to wait because when I got the graphics done, I forgot to reverse the symbol for the power polarity! So then I had to wait for the road rage boards I got to come in, so I could drop in a power supply that allows this thing to run off Boss standard tip negative 2.1mm 9VDC. That's right, postive ground, Mojo parts including a real NOS OC44 type all running off of boss standard making it happily living beside my other pedals! Plus, the brown really makes it look really good. Enjoy.

And the Guts.

Video will come eventually,

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

Nice work! The gfx look very professional. Kudos on using the RR here.

stevewire

Very cool Jacob.  So how do you feel it sounds with a power supply as compared to use with a battery?  Is it any noisier?  The Rangemaster I built was with an OC71.  I have a couple of CV7003s which I guess aren't actually OC44s and I don't have the specs on them, but I would like to build a few more Rangemasters to see which one I like best.  The OC71 is working well on my board for now.  All prepared to do a live radio performance next Monday.

eniacmike

I have built the cv7003 and the mullard oc-71 black glass rangemaster and they sound identical. I don't think it matters much.

jkokura

As far as I know, cv7003 are mil spec OC44 transistors. That means they are lower tolerance, suposedly better than actual OC44s. It is noisy, but I used carbon comp resistors so I think that's where it comes from.

Also, if you look close at the guts you'll see there's no battery snap. Ive only tested it with a power supply and it sounds great! I might try it with a sag circuit.

I like the mid boost better.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

stevewire

Hey Jacob,
Do you have any idea how Small Bear comes up with the specs for the resistors to bias the transistor?  I'm curious how I could make my CV7003s work.  On my Rangemaster build I cut one of the traces and used a pot to blend between the two caps instead of a switch; although, I like the full on treble into my AC30.

Meowy

Quote from: stevewire on December 01, 2010, 08:10:01 PM
Hey Jacob,
Do you have any idea how Small Bear comes up with the specs for the resistors to bias the transistor? 

http://geofex.com/article_folders/rangemaster/atboost.pdf

Nominal starting values for the resistors are 68K and 3.9K (or by some sources, 4.7K)

stevewire

meowy,
Funny.  I just printed that up wondering if it would have the answer.  I have come across it many times, but was discouraged to try to read it online because it is sideways.  So I printed it and returned to the forum to see your post.  I now see the tuning process on page four.  Guess I need to order a new Rangemaster PCB to build up one of these CV7003 versions.

Meowy

Nice. I like thr transferred RM graphics. All you need now is a slide switch.

What is one the extra board ?

jkokura

Quote from: Meowy on December 04, 2010, 06:39:45 PM
Nice. I like thr transferred RM graphics. All you need now is a slide switch.

Thanks! I thought about doing a true clone... but slide switches don't work well on stage while I'm using my feet, so I opted for the Stomp Switch.

Quote from: Meowy on December 04, 2010, 06:39:45 PM
What is one the extra board ?

Quote from: jkokura on December 01, 2010, 03:28:13 AM
I forgot to reverse the symbol for the power polarity! So then I had to wait for the road rage boards I got to come in, so I could drop in a power supply that allows this thing to run off Boss standard tip negative 2.1mm 9VDC.
JMK PCBs *New Website*

jkokura

I got a video of this one done and up on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr7pNQ2vITY

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

loves_guitar

Quote from: jkokura on December 29, 2010, 11:41:44 PM
I got a video of this one done and up on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr7pNQ2vITY

Jacob
Says it's a 'private' video.
Did you do the demo naked or something?!  ;)

jkokura

JMK PCBs *New Website*

loves_guitar

Sounds great (now that I can finally watch the video!).
I've got this waiting for me to build, with an CV7003 (aka OC44) as well!

I'm planning on doing the tone switch like you have. Can I ask what values you used? I'm assuming that simply selects the input cap?

FuzzMonkey

Nice work and excellent video.