News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Collosalus Cap problems

Started by pk1802, November 17, 2012, 08:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pk1802

I searched around the forum and didn't find any answers, so I figured I'd ask the gurus here.

1. I'm building a Collosalus right now, and for some reason, I ended up without 15uf caps in my order.

Can I used a 10uf here, or should I hold off and order some 15ufs with my next order? I could maybe squeeze a 10uf and 4.7uf in parallel there, would that work?

2. Same build, different question. Do both C20 and C27 need to be 25v caps because of the charge pump, or can I get away with using 16v caps there?

You guys rock!

Thanks

alanp

Quote from: pk1802 on November 17, 2012, 08:15:13 AM
1. I'm building a Collosalus right now, and for some reason, I ended up without 15uf caps in my order.

Can I used a 10uf here, or should I hold off and order some 15ufs with my next order? I could maybe squeeze a 10uf and 4.7uf in parallel there, would that work?

I'm interested in this as well. 15uF caps are special order from America for me. (What the heck, the 3007 is a special order part as well. I added it to the SB order, but I'd still like to know anyway.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Scruffie

10 or 22uFs will be fine, they're in the LFO, smaller values will mean quicker slow sweeps, larger, longer sweeps.

You'll just shift the overall range, you can probably tweak it back to standard range with some of the other parts but I wouldn't worry about it unless you're really worried about having the originals range of speeds.

You could also do one 10uF, one 22uF.
Works at Lectric-FX

pk1802

Thanks Scruffie, for the time being, I'll throw a couple 10uf caps in there so I can make sure everything is working out ok, and then replace them with 15uf when I get some in.

As for the two 100uf caps near the charge pump C20 and C27, do those need to be 25v or can I use 16v parts there? I can easily order the 25v ones, but I don't want to waste the shipping if something I already have will work.

Thanks

oldhousescott

16v caps are fine in those two positions. They only see the 9v power input.

madbean

Quote from: Scruffie on November 17, 2012, 01:12:30 PM
You could also do one 10uF, one 22uF.

Excellent point. This is probably what I should have listed as the BOM....I had to get 15uF from Mouser myself.

pk1802

You guys are amazing, thanks for the quick responses!

jeffaroo

dump a socket in, later on if you get 15's swap em out. the ole fiddle-fart rule !
i socket a lot of my caps just to play with later,
cant make up my mind, cut a switch in   ;D
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !