News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JFET Prices

Started by raulduke, November 14, 2012, 04:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

I would be willing to buy a pre-arranged SMD kit or two.

I don't think anyone else has jumped to bagged SMD kits, this would be the first place to start that.

midwayfair

Quote from: djaaz on November 16, 2012, 08:22:39 AMi won't see the point of a smd based dirt pedal

Two words:
Big. Muff. With .1% (not a typo) tolerances possible. Want great noise performance?

My little bit of sadness is that I'm not sure how I'll build things on perfboard once it's all SMD.

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on November 16, 2012, 02:29:00 PM
Quote from: djaaz on November 16, 2012, 08:22:39 AMi won't see the point of a smd based dirt pedal

Two words:
Big. Muff. With .1% (not a typo) tolerances possible. Want great noise performance?

My little bit of sadness is that I'm not sure how I'll build things on perfboard once it's all SMD.

.1% resistors can be surprisingly inexpensive.  Are you sure that the noise performance will be lower just because the tolerance is tighter?  I think what could certainly bring down the noise would be the shorter traces and perhaps switching from thick to thin film resistors (but at a very high cost).

I recently did a 1590a friendly muff layout, but it is all through-hole.  I am sure I could adapt it for SMT, though.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

Quote from: pickdropper on November 16, 2012, 04:28:08 PMAre you sure that the noise performance will be lower just because the tolerance is tighter?

No, it's the composition (they're metal film, but more compact, and with smaller leads), size, and board layouts. Yeah, the way I wrote my previous post was a little incomplete!

culturejam

1206 parts fit nicely on vero (track-side, obviously). So you could do some hybrid layouts that way.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on November 16, 2012, 04:38:25 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on November 16, 2012, 04:28:08 PMAre you sure that the noise performance will be lower just because the tolerance is tighter?

No, it's the composition (they're metal film, but more compact, and with smaller leads), size, and board layouts. Yeah, the way I wrote my previous post was a little incomplete!

Dig it.  That fits more with my understanding as well.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: madbean on November 15, 2012, 10:13:48 PM
This got me thinking. Would there be interest in a basic SMD DIY project from me? Like, maybe a pretty simple effect, with a component kit provided. Just to give those interested a step forward into SMD building. Hmm...

Brian, if you do this, would you also sell the boards alone?  I don't need a kit, but I'd likely be interested in boards if you offered them.
Function f(x)

icecycle66

Quote from: pickdropper on November 16, 2012, 07:36:34 PM
Quote from: madbean on November 15, 2012, 10:13:48 PM
This got me thinking. Would there be interest in a basic SMD DIY project from me? Like, maybe a pretty simple effect, with a component kit provided. Just to give those interested a step forward into SMD building. Hmm...

Brian, if you do this, would you also sell the boards alone?  I don't need a kit, but I'd likely be interested in boards if you offered them.

I would need a kit.  At least one that provides resistors and capacitors.

electricstorm

Jon, you could still probably use the perf board that has the solder rings on the back, kinda like Rat Shack sells (maybe cheaper somewhere else though).

I used to work at IBM when they first got into SMD (at that time it was called SMT) and most of the devices can be soldered with a fine tipped iron, however, there were some components that required a microscope to solder, still using a fine tipped iron. The scope was used mainly to see the small leads on some of the flat-pack and j-leg packages and to look for solder bridges.

I don't know how to post a downloadable file here, so I will point you in the right direction (so to speak). If you are serious about getting into SMD projects, Google the SMD Code Book and look through it. There is tons of info there on how to identify devices and it also has info on package outlines and such. There are different versions, but you might want to download each year of the code book. 2012 is the latest edition and the best part is that they are free to download!

Hope this helps in some way.
ElectricStorm

No current affiliations

Lovetone Flanger  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3v4twi2sbs0l5p7/1Ep9NbRE2T

wgc

Quote from: pickdropper on November 16, 2012, 04:28:08 PM

Two words:

.1% resistors can be surprisingly inexpensive.  Are you sure that the noise performance will be lower just because the tolerance is tighter?  I think what could certainly bring down the noise would be the shorter traces and perhaps switching from thick to thin film resistors (but at a very high cost).

I recently did a 1590a friendly muff layout, but it is all through-hole.  I am sure I could adapt it for SMT, though.

Totally agree on the lower noise due to shorter traces and thin film resistors. I've been thinking about doing some of the larger form factor distortions in smd, how cool would it be to get one of those circuits in a 1590a?  Just have to learn a layout program...  ;-) simple, nothin but time to spare over here.  So I would totally buy a board if offered!

Anyway, I spent about 12 years doing smd assembly and process support for both mil spec mfg and also contract mfg for brands like HP, compaq, Lucent, etc., though it was a while ago.   SMD can be tricky at first but in many ways it can be easier than thru hole, even by hand.  (I've actually done 0201s by hand, but 0805 or even 1206 is probably a good starting point.)  So if there's any interest in learning some tricks, let me know.

Also, a kit from passives could be pretty easy to do since there's little risk of esd damage.  You could print out the parts list and tape the parts adjacent, or even over the layout, almost paint by numbers at that point.  Semiconductors you'd want to bag.  Would also suggest including a few extra of everything that's smaller than an ic, especially since they're pretty cheap in bulk.

I dont post much and only recently got back into stomp boxes, but Ive been visiting often.  Continually impressed with all the great work here, great community too!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

culturejam

Quote from: wgc on November 17, 2012, 06:35:42 AM
So if there's any interest in learning some tricks, let me know.

Consider yourself notified of said interest.  :)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on November 17, 2012, 04:52:36 PM
Quote from: wgc on November 17, 2012, 06:35:42 AM
So if there's any interest in learning some tricks, let me know.

Consider yourself notified of said interest.  :)

Yeah, sounds like you have some great experience with those stuff.

As far as hand-soldering 0201s, I have to admit that I consider that to be a pain.  I've done it in a pinch, but definitely not my preferred size.  Hell, some board houses still don't have the pick and place machines to handle those.
Function f(x)

wgc

;-) I'll start a new thread somtime in the next day or two.  I'm sure there's a few things I can offer that should make smd things less challenging with a little practice.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Haberdasher

Looking forward to it, Billy.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

insomniac2295

woo!! i like what's going on here! Next up - SMD projects!! I'd totally buy in!