Main Menu

JFET Prices

Started by raulduke, November 14, 2012, 04:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

As a starting point, Madbean stock builds require:

(Qty/part)
11 / J201
0  / 2N5452 (But you will need about 24 / 2N5457)

I also have all the other part counts too if anyone wants them.  They haven't been updated since the recent new releases though.

madbean

This got me thinking. Would there be interest in a basic SMD DIY project from me? Like, maybe a pretty simple effect, with a component kit provided. Just to give those interested a step forward into SMD building. Hmm...

pickdropper

Quote from: madbean on November 15, 2012, 10:13:48 PMThis got me thinking. Would there be interest in a basic SMD DIY project from me? Like, maybe a pretty simple effect, with a component kit provided. Just to give those interested a step forward into SMD building. Hmm...

I've been kicking around the same thought lately, actually.  I've got a few layouts done.

My only hesitation on the kits is that Mouser will bag and tag each part and it is already included in the price.  By the time I would buy a bag and label each resistor (and accounting for my time) getting everything through Mouser might be cheaper.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

juansolo

I can barely see as it is... I'm in no hurry to go SMD for this reason alone.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jubal81

I'd jump on some SMD projects just to give them a shot. You all know my love for Mouser BOMs. Instead of making your own kits, just supply a BOM number and people can order all the stuff on their own with one click.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

Yep, I have Mouser BOMs for all of my layouts.
Function f(x)

jubal81

Quote from: pickdropper on November 15, 2012, 11:58:29 PM

Schaaawing!

I've seen a few in the build reports, but what all do you have ready to go?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pk1802

I'm getting ready to jump aboard the SMT train. Some simple projects would be great, or even difficult projects squeezed into smaller boxes. Especially if the BOMs were ready to go so I could purchase parts in one click, or use the mouser info to find comparable parts from other suppliers. I would buy some boards for sure.

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on November 16, 2012, 12:48:16 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on November 15, 2012, 11:58:29 PM

Schaaawing!

I've seen a few in the build reports, but what all do you have ready to go?

So far I've built:

Sea Urchin/Deep Blue Delay - That one is good to go

Shoot the Moon/Little Angel - Would verify with Rick and Forrest that they were cool with it.  Not really ideal for a first run at SMT, but some folks may want to try it.  I may also break off the STM into a separate board, which would make it smaller and a good first SMT project.

Screwdriver - Protos on the way.  The transistors are through-hole.  Everything else is SMT.  Probably an idea first foray as it is fairly low parts count and the SMT is all passive.

Timmy - Boards on the way.  I won't make these generally available because I don't want the hassle, but I'll probably have a few extra.

All of these PCBs will fit in a 1590A.  The Screwdriver is different from the rest in that it actually will take board mounted pots, if one doesn't want to jam it in a small enclosure (as there are 5 pots).  As I recently verified, You CAN fit 5 pots (or more) in a 1590A if you drill carefully.

I am going to do some more, but they will come in time.  I didn't do these layouts with the purpose of going into the PCB selling business, but I've seen a bit of momentum with SMT, so I've started to think about doing a small batch of some of them, if folks are interested, that is.

Function f(x)

jubal81

Very nice selection. Do you have a default size you like to work with, 0603/0805? I've started a few layouts with 0805s because they're a little bigger.
- David Fair

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on November 16, 2012, 02:25:12 AM
Very nice selection. Do you have a default size you like to work with, 0603/0805? I've started a few layouts with 0805s because they're a little bigger.

Yes, I prefer 0603 resistors and 0805 caps.  I do use larger caps when necessary to get larger values.  These days, I usually prefer to use ceramic caps over larger (specifically taller) tantalum caps.  For example, I favor 47uF 1206 caps.
Function f(x)

culturejam

Quote from: pickdropper on November 16, 2012, 01:42:13 AM
Shoot the Moon/Little Angel - Would verify with Rick and Forrest that they were cool with it. 

It's cool with me.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

djaaz

Quote from: madbean on November 15, 2012, 10:13:48 PM
This got me thinking. Would there be interest in a basic SMD DIY project from me? Like, maybe a pretty simple effect, with a component kit provided. Just to give those interested a step forward into SMD building. Hmm...

Yes. At least as a reflex to fight my resistance to change. To be honest, modulations are the best bet for me as i won't see the point of a smd based dirt pedal for instance except maybe to beat the fuzz face size world record or for more usage as a guitar onboard effect (bass preamp, or guitar boost (an enhanced sho would be a good candidate as far as i'm concerned)

pickdropper

Quote from: culturejam on November 16, 2012, 04:50:31 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on November 16, 2012, 01:42:13 AM
Shoot the Moon/Little Angel - Would verify with Rick and Forrest that they were cool with it. 

It's cool with me.

Cool Forrest.  Thanks.

Want me to send you a board? 
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: djaaz on November 16, 2012, 08:22:39 AM
Quote from: madbean on November 15, 2012, 10:13:48 PM

Yes. At least as a reflex to fight my resistance to change. To be honest, modulations are the best bet for me as i won't see the point of a smd based dirt pedal for instance except maybe to beat the fuzz face size world record or for more usage as a guitar onboard effect (bass preamp, or guitar boost (an enhanced sho would be a good candidate as far as i'm concerned)

SMT for shrinking modulation circuits certainly makes a ton of sense.  But I think that using it to shrink down anything to a 1590A can be cool.  As you mentioned, a fuzz face can be tiny already, so that isn't the biggest deal.

The downside of doing only modulations is that some of those circuits can be a bit parts heavy and may not be the ideal starting point for SMT; troubleshooting can be a bit trickier, especially since caps are generally not marked.  I try and get the marked resistors as they are a bit nicer to deal with.
Function f(x)