News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First mb build.. Weener Wah aka The Mullet Wah

Started by Bassman, November 12, 2012, 04:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassman

Party on the outside,  Business on the inside!

I just finished up my Madbean Weener Wah build.  I had a ton of fun with this build (and a few hair pulling out moments too).  First off.. kuddos to Madbean for the awesome board!  It is very flexible and the mod options are nice.

This was my first time working with axial caps and carbon comp resistors but decided that since I had waited so long to build a wah I might as well do it up right.  In it also is a NOS 2N3565 that gave me some trouble finding the pinout for it and a Sabbadius inductor.  I also have a Whipple on order but wanted to try out this one as well and so far it sounds pretty good.

I had some trouble getting it mounted and nearly destroyed the damn thing adjusting the pins and mounting tabs to allow it to sit low enough in the case to close it up.  I also snapped the head off of one of the self tapping screws that holds the serated stick to the foot pad.  My own fault.. don't be lazy and use a power drill to drive the screws lol.  I was able to install the back screw just fine and used some Gorilla 5 min epoxy to secure the front.  It's not going anywhere  8)

I had a small issue with Q1 not seating in it's socket that gave me fits last night but I got that sorted out and now I am loving this thing!  I can't wait for my Whipple to arrive so I can pop that in here  ;)

Oh yeah... and the tread is pink... what other color goes on a Weener  :lol:

monkeyssj1

sirbergersworth

"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand, says, "Don't you see?"
-Robert Hunter

nzCdog

Thats such a sick looking wah... tidy wiring, makes me wanna build one!

Bassman

Thanks guys  8)   I really had fun building this up.  It had been such a long time since I used a PCB (been vero and perf for the last year or so) that this was really refreshing.

I have a Current Lover and Smoothie on the bench now...  These boards are great   ;D

icecycle66

slimtriggers

Oh man, that enclosure is HOT!  Is that from Mammoth?

Bassman

Quote from: slimtriggers on November 13, 2012, 02:02:04 AM
Oh man, that enclosure is HOT!  Is that from Mammoth?

Yep it's a mammoth enclosure.  The only real issue with it is I had to modify the mounting posts (had to grind off the aft post all the way off) in order to get the pcb to mount away from the bottom plate.

ch1naski

Sound sample! Sound sample!;D

Don't try. d3rpalicious.
one louder.

jimilee

I already got a bass wah, bit I didn't build it, i'm feeling the need to make one happen.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bassman

Quote from: jimilee on December 15, 2012, 08:05:46 PM
I already got a bass wah, bit I didn't build it, i'm feeling the need to make one happen.

Go for it :D  I have thought of building another one of these for bass as well.  This was by far the most fun I have had building a pedal in a while.  Fully recommended  ;)

Quote from: ch1naski on December 15, 2012, 08:01:35 PM
Sound sample! Sound sample!;D

I have no real way of recording one right now but I'll just say it sounds great ;)

ch1naski

Quote from: Bassman on December 16, 2012, 03:47:59 AM
Quote from: jimilee on December 15, 2012, 08:05:46 PMI already got a bass wah, bit I didn't build it, i'm feeling the need to make one happen.

Go for it :D  I have thought of building another one of these for bass as well.  This was by far the most fun I have had building a pedal in a while.  Fully recommended  ;)

Quote from: ch1naski on December 15, 2012, 08:01:35 PMSound sample! Sound sample!;D

I have no real way of recording one right now but I'll just say it sounds great ;)

I'm actually going my first vero build as I type this... You guys make it all seen so easy. I'm hoping doing a PCB build is a little easier.
The wah is my next project.
Don't try. d3rpalicious.
one louder.

pickdropper

Looks great, Bassman.

One of these days, I need to build myself a wah.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

ch1naski

Does that mammoth enclosure seem pretty durable?

Don't try. d3rpalicious.
one louder.

fendman

Really nice build Bassman... love the old caps,looks great :)