News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TORK Amplification - WRK-1 (First tube amp built)

Started by GrindCustoms, November 11, 2012, 10:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Hi guys! I'm almost done with my first tube amp project, so here's a resume of the build thread i have at BYOC, you can see the full thread here: http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41159

This is a Firefly 1 Watt tube amp project, that i decided to fit into a 1590DD enclosure that i got from PPP with the translucent hand brushed copper finish.

The enclosure when i received it.

Some Pre-Drilling

So populating...and off board wiring that have changed through out the process.

mg]http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/404231_407645889308987_2142041046_n.jpg[/img]

Some enclosure prepping..........

Power and Output Transformers installed!  ;D

Prepping the tube wiring..

And then learned.........that i needed shielded wire on the Grid pins of the preamp tubes, since it's high gain....

Ready to receive the sockets!

Got some amps name plate made..........still waiting after another set..to complete the final look...
Thanks to Dave for the help with the graphic layout ;)

Operating but temporary gut shots......, going to take out the SuperOrgyCapacitorParty out when i receive the appropriate cap.. and i will probably change the pots for some Clarostat...

Glory hole at the back is for future mini jack that will used with the footswitch to control the Boost On/Off.

Naked!

The Tubes!

V1 & V2 are a Tested Matched set of RCA/Silvertone that i bought on Ebay, when i have some spare money........i'll get some Ei 12AX7 for it..........

V3 is a NOS RCA ClearTop 12AU7, the same thing that i used in my previous BoobTube built.

Final Shot!

Controls and Switch from left to right:

Input, Clear/Normal/Bright Switch above
Gain
Boost Level
Boost Switch, status LED above, power LED under
Bottom, Power switch
Top, Standby switch

I wanted to have the blue LED in the tube sockets that lit up when standby is ON, but it was getting a bit in there.........maybe later!

With tube shields on :)

Close to impossible to not have dust on that finish......... :roll:

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jubal81

That. Is. Gorgeous.  :o

Bravo! You've got to post a video. Also, heard of anyone using an ECC99 in place of the 12AU7?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

alanp

Beautiful, looks like a corksniffery ultra-fidelity amp.

The leads from the board to the 9pin sockets look a bit terrible to work with, though!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

That looks wonderful, Rej.  Really makes me want to build one.

What do you think of the sound?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

JakeFuzz

That is awesome looking Rej! That brushed finish is so worth it; it looks beautiful. Looks like a pretty tight fit even in that enclosure. How does it sound? How did you drill the larger holes for the tube sockets? I got a crappy big step dril on Amazon and it just makes a huge mess of everything.

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

nzCdog

GrindCustoms

Thanks alot guys! This was alot of fun to do and it's really not the last one.........going bigger and bigger in my tube amp projects....next on the list is a SLO Clone! ;D

Quote from: jubal81 on November 11, 2012, 10:44:56 AM
That. Is. Gorgeous.  :o

Bravo! You've got to post a video. Also, heard of anyone using an ECC99 in place of the 12AU7?

Thanks Jubal, i will make a video once i have the appropriate cap to replace the capacitor orgy i built in the wait...., yeah you can definitly run different power tubes. There a forum member at BYOC, Duhvoodooman, that have a rotary selector switch for different power tubes with their individual Bias...........i would have gone that way..........but space is quite limited.

Quote from: alanp on November 11, 2012, 04:32:55 PM
Beautiful, looks like a corksniffery ultra-fidelity amp.

The leads from the board to the 9pin sockets look a bit terrible to work with, though!

Hehe, thanks, i wanted to have that booteek look...somehow...., at first the wire seemed to be a true PITA.....but it took like 15 minutes to get the sockets on there, flip the head on the side, put the socket in the vise...........and solder!

Quote from: pickdropper on November 11, 2012, 04:58:40 PM
That looks wonderful, Rej.  Really makes me want to build one.

What do you think of the sound?

Cheers Dave! ;)

The sound, need to go get my self some Zebra leggings........, this thing screams 80's! Hahahaha

It really nails that 80's upfront-mid sound with light weight gain yet thick.....pretty cool! and it's still can CHUGG a bit.......:)

Quote from: JakeFuzz on November 11, 2012, 06:46:57 PM
That is awesome looking Rej! That brushed finish is so worth it; it looks beautiful. Looks like a pretty tight fit even in that enclosure. How does it sound? How did you drill the larger holes for the tube sockets? I got a crappy big step dril on Amazon and it just makes a huge mess of everything.

Thanks man! You really gave me the motivation to put it in this type of enclosure once i saw your Vox type amp ;)

I did the larger holes with a cheap step drill that i got from ebay........, it was quite hard to keep everything straight...., added that i drill everything with a Hand-Drill....

Really slow speed, to make sure aluminum and bit does'nt heat up and it was good to go :)

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Stomptown

Wow! That's all I can really say. This is inspiring me to build my first amp. Amazing work!!!

oldhousescott

That looks beautiful, but please be careful of the OT. There's B+ voltage on those terminals that could give you a serious jolt!

GrindCustoms

I had some oscillating issue when the Boost stage was engaged, was'nt able to get it passed 1o'clock without having the amp oscillating.........after swapping multitude of tubes........i came up with this combo that gives me some great results :)

12AU7 for the preamp and power amp and 12AX7 for the Boost, it gives a wider range of clean when the boost is not engaged..........and when i engage the boost, i have as much gain that i could need! WIN!

Going to order some 12AT7 to also give them a try in the Pre...maybe get it a bit hotter without oscillating...hopefully...

Quote from: Stumptown on November 12, 2012, 12:34:43 AM
Wow! That's all I can really say. This is inspiring me to build my first amp. Amazing work!!!

Thanks! Yeah man, do it, it's easier than pedal building, but i would strongly suggest going the way they propose in the build doc if you go the Firefly way..........i've run through couple issue doing it like that....

Quote from: oldhousescott on November 12, 2012, 02:16:40 AM
That looks beautiful, but please be careful of the OT. There's B+ voltage on those terminals that could give you a serious jolt!

Thanks, i'm trying to find a solution for that possible issue..........just to make it mistake proof....

Any ideas are welcomed ;)

sgmezei

Thats awesome dude!!! My firefly did not come out that nice!

Fabulous

fish22

This is the coolest thing ever. Partly because I have a small amp fetish and because I love that PPP finish.
Ive been thinking about something like this for a while....

awesome work man.  :o
Hi, my name is Wyatt.

GrindCustoms

Thanks guys!

I may record a crap clip today..........to evacuate and vent a bit.......... ;D