News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Suggestions for new Mad Bean stuff.

Started by Mark0614, November 11, 2012, 09:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark0614

It's probably not the best first post but it is on my mind.

I have been meaning to build an active A/B/Y switcher. I know R.G.Keen designed one

http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/humfree2.gif

I have no idea if it is any good, though a project like this would be good to build.

I have a Pasty Face in the works, though I'd also like to build a Tonebender 2 without the tone control, is there an existing board for this type of build?

I know BYOC has a Tonebender 2 kit, but I'd prefer to buy a board and get my own components. The Mad Bean boards are great, very well thought out.

Mark

jkokura

The Active A/B/Y project is available as a kit from BYOC, so I'm not sure it's the best project to offer when it's already being offered elsewhere.

If you just need a PCB for an active amp switcher, I do have a PCB on the way that might help you.

There are projects out there for the 2 knob Tonebenders, I think Tonepad has one in particular, and BYOC as you mentioned.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Mark0614

Thanks for your reply Jacob. I didn't realise that BYOC made a A/B/Y splitter, they have been quite expensive in Australia and for this reason I don't look at their website. I'll have to check again as they may be cheaper now with the high Australia dollar.

As far as the Tonebender goes I'd prefer not to build the board. I have made boards in the past and it is a hassle and they aren't as good as the new double sided boards.

Have you guys seen the Valve Wizard designs available on his website?

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/engineersthumb.html

This his compressor.

This is the comment that grabbed my attention, " the Dynacomp was an astonishingly good design for its era. However, it shows its age, and the main objection to it is its noise floor. This is because OTAs are fundamentally noisy beasts, and when the circuit is not amplifying a signal the OTA is just sitting there running at max gain, producing its maximum amount of output noise.
An obvious solution is to place the OTA in the feedback loop of an opamp, so the situation is reversed. Now when the circuit gain is highest the OTA gain must be lowest (restricting the amount of feedback), so its noise is also lowest."

He's right the Dynacomp units are noisy.

Mark

juansolo

Built one (on my site), it's very good. As are all of Merlin's effects to be fair.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jkokura

Actually, Merlin's Engineer's Thumb Compressor is a soon to be release project with my PCB company. Stay tuned for more details.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Mark0614

I'd be interested Jacob as I have experimented with the Ross/MXR compressor and while I like the response of it (great for funk) the noise is too much. The top end is shaved off purely to lower the noise floor.

Merlin is a pretty cluey guy, his books on valve amps are on the money.

Mark

jeffaroo

acoustic sim   
loop station  ;D
and how about a delay like raulduke's 2 in 1 (echo machine) i think
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

Mark0614

Hi Jacob

Do you offer a board for the Engineers Thumb?

Thanks.

Mark

jkokura

JMK PCBs *New Website*

hammerheadmusicman

^looking forward to that one very much!!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

jeffaroo

think we need a amp or two in the PCB's
Maybe a 9v tube and a low voltage solid state

hammerheadmusicman

^there was one in the members area, 'lil green watter' or something? Little 1 watt thing I think?

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

jeffaroo

yes we do and i have one. but this seems to be a endless topic for the new guys.
why not just have a pcb on the list. so many people dont want to etch

midwayfair

Quote from: jeffaroo on January 01, 2013, 02:45:35 AM
yes we do and i have one. but this seems to be a endless topic for the new guys.
why not just have a pcb on the list. so many people dont want to etch

Well, if you look on the "upcoming" list on the projects page and in the project development blog, you'd see that Bean's designing a submini tube amp. You'll notice most of Brian's projects for the last year have been original (or heavily tweaked) designs, and amps aren't designed in a day.

9v supply is, according to a thread I started recently on DIYSB, a little ambitious for a tube of any sort.

Mark0614

Jacob, let me know when the Engineers Thumb PCB is available. Does it have the same squishiness as the Ross compressor has?

Thanks Jacob.

Mark