News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Suggestions for new Mad Bean stuff.

Started by Mark0614, November 11, 2012, 09:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark0614

Here is the board for the Tonebender and I bought it, thanks Mad Bean, I look forward to receiving the board and building the pedal.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Tonebender/Tonbender2014.pdf

Regards

Mark

Muadzin

I for one would LOVE to finally see some noise gate PCB's being released. You'd think that with those gazillions of dirtbox, compressor and boost PCB's being constantly released by everyone there would be some need for a noise gate to keep all that noise down.

mremic01

Quote from: Muadzin on October 19, 2014, 09:57:38 AM
I for one would LOVE to finally see some noise gate PCB's being released. You'd think that with those gazillions of dirtbox, compressor and boost PCB's being constantly released by everyone there would be some need for a noise gate to keep all that noise down.

Definitely. I built a Decimator/Engineer's Thumb combo and the two circuit work perfectly together. The Decimator keeps the noise out before the compressor can raise it.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: mremic01 on October 19, 2014, 07:27:54 PM

Definitely. I built a Decimator/Engineer's Thumb combo and the two circuit work perfectly together. The Decimator keeps the noise out before the compressor can raise it.

Compressor usually goes in front of dirt, noise gate goes after unless you like to hear the SSSHHHHHHHHH sound of stacked gain pedals when guitar signal is muted by the gate... putting a gate in front of the dirt is a bit irrelevant to me.

With the amount of Decimator i've built on etched layout i'd be the first one to have fabbed and available for DIY, unless some of pcb floggers gets a deal or consentement with ISP Technology, i highly doubt any of us will publicly release a layout, 100% sure we'll get sued.

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Shrtyska9

Hey Rej what decimator layout are you using for your builds?

Richard

Richard

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Shrtyska9 on October 19, 2014, 09:26:17 PM
Hey Rej what decimator layout are you using for your builds?

Richard

Gallego, can be found on DIYSB i think.

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Shrtyska9

Richard

mremic01

Quote from: GrindCustoms on October 19, 2014, 09:12:20 PM
Quote from: mremic01 on October 19, 2014, 07:27:54 PM

Compressor usually goes in front of dirt, noise gate goes after unless you like to hear the SSSHHHHHHHHH sound of stacked gain pedals when guitar signal is muted by the gate... putting a gate in front of the dirt is a bit irrelevant to me.

With the amount of Decimator i've built on etched layout i'd be the first one to have fabbed and available for DIY, unless some of pcb floggers gets a deal or consentement with ISP Technology, i highly doubt any of us will publicly release a layout, 100% sure we'll get sued.

Rej

Depends on where your noise is coming from. I've had more luck with noise gates in front. It keeps things from getting amplified by cleaning up your signal early on. Yeah, a gate at the end of the chain will clean up anything generated by other stuff, but I've always had issues with the threshold settings either needing to be too high to turn off any boosts and not have it have weird decay problems, or not be high enough to deal with any noise getting boosted by pedals in front of it. In front of a compressor works for me, and keeps the compressor quite to boot.

GrindCustoms

I'd agree with that, pretty much depends of the setup. I always have a comp on, no matter dirt or clean and it's boosting a bit at the same time, that helps alot to control the treshold of the gate when put at the complete end of the chain.

alanp

There isn't a home-designed noise gate that works as well if not better?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Mark0614

Muadzin

Quote from: GrindCustoms on October 19, 2014, 09:12:20 PM

Rej

Why? Plenty of other pedals get cloned and offered as pcb's. What makes the Decimator so protected?

Besides, even if the copyright gods do frown upon doing a Decimator pcb, why not use the MXR noise gate? It may not be exactly like the Decimator, but its been around for a while on the DIY circuit and something is better then nothing.

kothoma

Quote from: Muadzin on October 20, 2014, 01:11:54 PM
Why? Plenty of other pedals get cloned and offered as pcb's. What makes the Decimator so protected?

Most pedal circuits aren't patented, and can't be, but the Decimator is.

Justus

IIRC, from researching the Decimator and G-string layouts a month or so ago, there are some corrections that are needed to be made to that build doc (Slade's G-string version).  The corrections and the build doc aren't an all-in-one, easy-to-read file though, and you have to comb through several forum pages to get it.  I'll attach a couple files that will help you figure it out.  (The corrections were derived from going through Galego's G-string schematic and finding where Slade's layout was incorrect.)

There is another layout floating around, not from DIYSB, that appears to be an original Decimator that incorporates a 3PDT switch and I/O jacks right on the PCB.  Very limiting on how you can lay it out, obviously.  The ground plane is a bunch of cross hatches.  I had that etch layout downloaded, but deleted it in favor of the corrected G-string version, and now I don't know where to find it again.

Muadzin

Quote from: kothoma on October 20, 2014, 01:31:32 PM
Quote from: Muadzin on October 20, 2014, 01:11:54 PM

Most pedal circuits aren't patented, and can't be, but the Decimator is.

Seriously?  :o If its not possible to patent circuits, how could they do it with the Decimator? Especially since I came across two PCB vendors who were selling boards for it?