News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slambox build help

Started by mlweidl, November 29, 2010, 07:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlweidl

so i built a zen clone and a slam box clone and they both didnt work so im gonna figure out the the slambox first being that its easier and i know its an easy fix.

so......

The LED works, i get the crackle from the pot which does get might loud when its rolled almost all the way counter clockwise which im assuming is standard since its a reverse taper. But i dont get any sound on or off. So... I know im fine from the output of the board since i get the crackle. So pretty much what i have it narrowed down to is from the input of the switch to the board. The only thing i think it could be is i used a mono jack instead of a stereo. I used the wiring diagram from the slambox Version 3.

i dont have any pictures so im just going to draw how i wired  it then post here in a few minutes

madbean

Crackle should get louder clockwise. I think you have the pot wired backwards.

jkokura

I meant to reply to this.

It sounds to me like your wiring is not working. If you're getting crackle, you're right in assuming the output should be connected right. Also, Reverse Taper does NOT mean that the pot works backwards. Brian's right, you probably have the pot in backwards. Also, it's unlikely using a mono jack is the problem. Stereo jacks are used when using the jack to switch the battery on or off.

Are you including a battery snap or not? Do you get sound in bypass? If you're using the wiring diagram from Version 3 of the slambox, are you using a version 3 board? Can you post some pictures of it for us, and of the wiring diagram you used?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

mlweidl

so im borrowing a camera tomorrow. Also did i have to add the trace between the resistor and the cap, sorry if i dont know the specific resistor and cap but i saw mentioned while i was researching the other threads

mlweidl

and checked at least four times with the wiring diagram that you guys just posted thats the sticky at the top and everything is spot on. im stumped. will post pics tomorrow but im gonna break out the multi meter tonight and try and figure this out

mlweidl

so this is where i am totally stumped. sorry for so many posts but im just baffled and this will be my last on till i get pics up.

so..... i broke out the multi meter just to make sure i have a solid connection going everywhere. so i have it from the tip(not my solder joint the actual tip) on the input to terminal 1B(top middle) then the jumper from 1B to 3C which i still get signal from the tip regaurdless of if the switch is on or off. Then when the switch is off i get signal from the tip of the input to the tip of the output via terminal 2C. The when it is on it goes from 3C to the center terminal which goes to the input of the board.\

So i have signal on the meter from input to output, LED works, crackle is audible and is not oriented the correct way. Seems like everything is working the way is should. Starting to think it may be the input jack itself but even when i plug a cable into i get a signal all the way from the opposite tip to the output of the pedal

jkokura

Alrighty, this is where we use some logic.

If you have signal in bypass, that means you jacks are fine. You don't Ned to worry about them anymore.

If when you engage the pedal, and the led works, chances are you have no power issues. Don't worry about that yet.

But, since you don't have signal, that means the problem is between the switch wire to the board and the pot. Either, your wire to the board, or one of the parts on the board is causing the problem. Since there are only ten parts or so, it shouldn't be hard to find the problem. Post a pic or two, and look closely at the parts. Use some logic and follow the signal path. An audio probe souls be the fastest/easiest way to find the problem.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

mlweidl

ok and will do, gotta dig up the probe i built a while back but.... just to clarify i have NO signal period. Bypass or not. i was just using the multi meter to make sure everything what going where it should

and i really really appreciate your help. Thanks so much

jkokura

No problem.

But if you aren't getting bypass signal, the problem will likely be in the wiring. Pics will help.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

mlweidl

so im back after the holidays and want to get this thing working! So i changed out my mono jack to the stereo and before i screwed it in i tested and for just a brief moment i got my bypass signal and effected signal SO being that it was not in the box does it sound like a grounding issue or just a loose connection from the input

also do i need to add the trace on the newest version board?

here are some pics(sorry for the small depth of field ill take some more but let me know exactly what you need to see)

mlweidl

anyone? im right there i can feel it!