News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

In the needs of Boobs?

Started by GrindCustoms, November 02, 2012, 05:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Finally got my 1 1/4 step drill bit..........., so i can now go tube frenzy!   :D

Here's my take on JuanSolo/Marauder BoobTube wich is a variant of the ValveCaster....this thing is BRUTAL.

More musical than anything i've played before and i'm not saying musical because of the hype of it...or the trend...., just because it is........!  :o

Here are little details.........

-6.66 Reneggadrian Voltage Multiplier

-18v power supply, 12Vreg for the heaters, 120V at the plate  

-NOS RCA 12AU7 Clear Top tube.

-Rusky PIO Tone caps, 15nf Rusky PIO input cap.

-Sideswitch is for «standby» so the tube is not automatically under tension when you plug the pedal.

-Top switch removes the master volume and tone stack from the audio path.

PICS!  ;D

I did a vero layout for the caps and resistor going on the tube, was a bit too much problem fitting all that on the socket....due to size of components.

Close up!

Standby and Bypass Status

ON and Bypass Status

ON and Effect ON Status

Tube shield/protector on....

The only mod i will do to the whole thing, is adjust the value of the gain pot, when the volume and tone are bypassed, with the gain pot just past 75% it starts to oscillate. And start to oscillate when the volume and tone stack are maxed around 85% of the Gain pot...so i'll drop it to 75K and it should fix that issue....well i hope, any recommendation are welcome  :)

What i'm the most happy is that when it was on the breadboard and BOB, it was radiophonic and hissy...but had super long length of wires and what not. It's now dead quiet.......well for what it is.....

Oh! and i used the biggest heatshrink(that's how it's called ?!?) for the 12Vreg.........the enclosure! Hahaha!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

juansolo

Most impressive sir. Love that more of these are starting to appear.

Particularly love the heatsink for the reg.

You should do the other one now (Baby). Differently flavoured, much simpler build. Can use all the same power bits you did for this. It'll fit on the back of a valve socket if you feel like it ;)

Still even has the LED stuck up the pipe ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

fish22

Hi, my name is Wyatt.

njkke

You already know how much I like your demos, so: DEMO!!!  ;D

GrindCustoms

Quote from: juansolo on November 02, 2012, 09:16:04 AM
Most impressive sir. Love that more of these are starting to appear.

Particularly love the heatsink for the reg.

You should do the other one now (Baby). Differently flavoured, much simpler build. Can use all the same power bits you did for this. It'll fit on the back of a valve socket if you feel like it ;)

Still even has the LED stuck up the pipe ;)

Thanks Juan, I've ordered couple other caps with a sizing that will be more appropriate for socket mounting.

Next on the list is a Twin tube one...so it will be usefull :)

Using the enclosure as the heat diffuser seemed like the best option....just had to bore out the Vreg hole a bit.

Do you have a clue why that when gain is passed 3o'clock it starts oscillating? I used A100K pot, is there a simple fix to that?

Quote from: njkke on November 02, 2012, 02:46:05 PM
You already know how much I like your demos, so: DEMO!!!  ;D

I have a «Ghetto» sound clip in the Clip section ;)

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

juansolo

Not sure what's going on with the oscillation. We don't get that on any of them that we've built. We do put a buffer (Jimmybjj's Klon one) on the output which was to stop other valve effects having issues further up the chain with that sort of thing... Might be worth a go (can run it at 18v too for added headroom).

The only other thing different is that you're feeding it twice the power. But that should make things better, not worse.

GrindCustoms

Yeah, i was thinking of adding the Klon buffer to it, i have couple populated ones here, i'll give it a go...

And i may try some «filter» caps on the gain pot if it persists, I'll put sockets in the extra holes on pot and try out stuff....

Now.........., i need to source sub mini tubes, those i purchased from my Ukraine buddy are not up to the task......

This thing is going to end as a full amp preamp! LOL

Cheers!

Rej

alanp

Why not add a couple 6V6's, or even KT88's, so that you can just plug it into the speaker cab?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

Power tubes want mucho voltage AC, hence transformer, then an output transformer, etc. Essentially yep, build an amp. Mines just being boxed up now ;)

http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/ampage.html

What these pedals are ideal for is exactly what Rej and I have. Low wattage single channel amps. They essentially give you something along the lines of the extra channel we don't have.

Vallhagen

I like your stuff and style, mr Grind. Even the logo is tasty.

That, combined with tubes, gives a complete winner. Absolutely topofthenotch inside n out.

Cheers!
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

GrindCustoms

Quote from: alanp on November 03, 2012, 12:25:26 PM
Why not add a couple 6V6's, or even KT88's, so that you can just plug it into the speaker cab?

Well...that may happen, i did'nt had any spare low wattage OT until yesterday, but i'm having a trade with Andrew(Marauder) for another 3watt OT.........and i'm swapping the OT/PT from my Vjr, so i might use that PT.

Making a complete preamp section wich main pre would be a Dual Boob tube, pre-gain stage...a mini boob tube and use a power section similar to the Firefly with a 12AU7.....should be interesting...working on the turret layout at the moment....

So many tube projects are stacking in front of me........got 3 of them in the work as we are speaking... ;D

Quote from: juansolo on November 03, 2012, 01:15:21 PM
Power tubes want mucho voltage AC, hence transformer, then an output transformer, etc. Essentially yep, build an amp. Mines just being boxed up now ;)

http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/ampage.html

What these pedals are ideal for is exactly what Rej and I have. Low wattage single channel amps. They essentially give you something along the lines of the extra channel we don't have.

Yeah, it's extremely great for that purpose..., but i'm really digging it on my MarkIV aswell, it just sound better than any boost or OD i've used yet to boost the front end of the high gain channel.......with the Klone in front of it, just boosting a tad....and the Boobtube raping the shit out of the preamp......it's deliciously brutal! hahaha

Quote from: Vallhagen on November 03, 2012, 01:46:33 PM
I like your stuff and style, mr Grind. Even the logo is tasty.

That, combined with tubes, gives a complete winner. Absolutely topofthenotch inside n out.

Cheers!

Thanks alot man, much appreciated :)

I also really like my logo, spend many hours and «essai» to get it right....

nzCdog

Nice!  8) Full of pure-mojo-toan enhancement components too ;D

GrindCustoms

Quote from: nzCdog on November 04, 2012, 07:27:05 AM
Nice!  8) Full of pure-mojo-toan enhancement components too ;D

The schem was begging for it! :D