News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

raulduke's Prince Albert build

Started by jalmonsalmon, October 22, 2012, 07:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalmonsalmon

Well,
I recieved a 1590b last Saturday and was able finish up the Prince Albert.
Very interesting pedal I must say. Gain is really low and I would assume HiWatt like just as they claim.
Dynamic pedal, cleans up great with the guitar volume knob and I think this pedal would make an awesome overdrive for a good amp to send you into awesome land. clips to come soon!

I just cannot figure out how to get that LED working... Either I blew mine up or it is in backwards so I need to check  ???

Outside -   Had a fun time drilling this out and it is not perfect but, oh well LOL
someday I will get around to learning how to put artwork on pedals  :P

Guts - and thanks to the layout and 3PDT board, wiring was a snap!  very clean
I did not have the correct pcb mounted pots so each pot has a small 1 inch wire going into the PCB so it is still pretty neat inside and you can pull everything out easily without a rats nest following you around.

On a side note... I have a purple plexi that I ran in front of this Prince Albert and I am really temped to get a 1590BB and slap them both inside to get the best of both amp sims in a pedal format  ;)

added a clip on youtube with a madbean mangler

Cheers!  and thanks raulduke!
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

raulduke

Hey dude,

Nice to see you have built it up.

Try a booster before the circuit; it opens it right up and takes it into distortion territory, the circuit sounds really cool like this IMO.

It looks like you have connected up the LED pad on the FX connections somewhere?

This connection/pad is only required if using an LED not mounted on the 3PDT PCB (I put the pad there in case anyone wanted to use a FX PCB mounted LED and CLR for example).

If your LED and CLR are mounted on the 3PDT PCB you don't need to connect anything to the LED pad.

Make sure your LED is in the right way (a simple mistake), and disconnect that wire and see how it goes.

Cheers and good luck!

jalmonsalmon

Heyas!
Yeah I have that little wire to the LED pad on the dc power like how I do other pedals and it killed the sound so I took it off. I will desolder that wire and check my LED to see if it is in wrong... I am sure that's the case.

Yeah I will try a boost in front. But I love that pedal. It has the perfect amount of dirt for rhythm playing and strait ahead rock n roll / blues and a booster in front should complete the package.

Thanks!
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

GrindCustoms

Great Job man! I also really dig my RAH that i got from Steve........, in fact.........i now get a pcb of everything he pulls out! ;D
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jalmonsalmon

Quote from: raulduke on October 22, 2012, 08:07:17 PM

Try a booster before the circuit; it opens it right up and takes it into distortion territory, the circuit sounds really cool like this IMO.

Make sure your LED is in the right way (a simple mistake), and disconnect that wire and see how it goes.

Opened her up and reversed the LED wires, took off that other wire from the LED pad...
She lights up now! 
More I play on this, the more I like it. I boosted it with a bad monkey and it was rippin!  I am really temped to put  SHO in front, maybe build it inside with a daughter board, however it is pretty crammed inside so I may as stated before get a 1590bb and go for it. SHO/RAH may be the ticket!
Thanks again Steve!

Quote from: GrindCustoms on October 22, 2012, 10:35:49 PM
Great Job man! I also really dig my RAH that i got from Steve........, in fact.........i now get a pcb of everything he pulls out! ;D
Yeah I think I am going to be getting more pcb's from Steve when they are available 
Cheers! ;D
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

dodgechargerfan

Nice!

I can't wait to get started on mine. I'm still gathering components.

pryde

Nice work on your build. I built a RAH some time ago (not Raulduke's) and it is indeed a great pedal. Any number of boosts really light it up and work well.

Personally I think it works best on its own with a les paul as intended. I still have not found a pedal that really nails the JP tone better (excluding his early tonebender/tele stuff)

jalmonsalmon

Quote from: pryde on October 23, 2012, 02:06:23 AM
Nice work on your build. I built a RAH some time ago (not Raulduke's) and it is indeed a great pedal. Any number of boosts really light it up and work well.

Personally I think it works best on its own with a les paul as intended. I still have not found a pedal that really nails the JP tone better (excluding his early tonebender/tele stuff)

Thank you!
Oh a good friend of mine has a Les Paul traditional and a 1959 Plexi half stack and I cannot wait to run the RAH into that beast  ;D
good times!

CHeers!
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .