News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Has anyone ever gotten usable PT2399s from Tayda?

Started by mgwhit, October 15, 2012, 07:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PimpMyTone

Quote from: pickdropper on October 15, 2012, 07:52:54 PM
I've bought 12 from them.  I've only tried 4 or so, but they all worked fine.

Now if only they would carry the surface mount version (I did put in a request).

You can buy them relly cheap in Canada .http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Digital-Echo-Surround-Processor-PT2399-SMT-DE4026-/221137528177?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item337cd2e571
Simon

pickdropper

Quote from: simonsix on December 27, 2012, 11:05:47 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on October 15, 2012, 07:52:54 PM
I've bought 12 from them.  I've only tried 4 or so, but they all worked fine.

Now if only they would carry the surface mount version (I did put in a request).

You can buy them relly cheap in Canada .http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Digital-Echo-Surround-Processor-PT2399-SMT-DE4026-/221137528177?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item337cd2e571

Have you personally tried these?  A lot of the PT2399s on eBay are fake.  Some of the SMT ones aren't even the correct IC package.  The fact that this ad uses a rendering instead of a photos makes it difficult to tell.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

whitebread47

Quote from: pickdropper on December 27, 2012, 01:14:54 PM
A lot of the PT2399s on eBay are fake.  Some of the SMT ones aren't even the correct IC package.  The fact that this ad uses a rendering instead of a photos makes it difficult to tell.

After my recent issue with eBay PT2399's., I don't even trust the photos that show real chips.  The through-hole ones I got on eBay had a photo of a chip that said "PTC" PT2399, but the ones I received had "DTC" printed on them.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

TNblueshawk

Quote from: whitebread47 on December 27, 2012, 06:19:24 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on December 27, 2012, 01:14:54 PM
A lot of the PT2399s on eBay are fake.  Some of the SMT ones aren't even the correct IC package.  The fact that this ad uses a rendering instead of a photos makes it difficult to tell.

After my recent issue with eBay PT2399's., I don't even trust the photos that show real chips.  The through-hole ones I got on eBay had a photo of a chip that said "PTC" PT2399, but the ones I received had "DTC" printed on them.

Blake wasn't that your thread over at BYOC you started? Some good responses in that one too.
John

whitebread47

Quote from: TNblueshawk on December 27, 2012, 07:24:49 PM
Blake wasn't that your thread over at BYOC you started? Some good responses in that one too.

Yep, that were me.  I ended up coughing up the extra cash and ordered a handful from Mammoth.  I've only used one, but so far I've had no problems whatsoever.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

hammerheadmusicman

Sorry to jack this thread, but as i was reading it, i realised i have never checked tayda out, assuming it was US, as i'm UK, shipping is expensive, but the prices there seem ridiculously cheap, and the shipping seems reasonable!

Do any of you guys have any experience ordering to the UK from them?

thanks

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

atreidesheir

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on December 27, 2012, 10:43:24 PM
Sorry to jack this thread, but as i was reading it, i realised i have never checked tayda out, assuming it was US, as i'm UK, shipping is expensive, but the prices there seem ridiculously cheap, and the shipping seems reasonable!

Do any of you guys have any experience ordering to the UK from them?

I am USA not UK, but I have to say my shipping experience with Tayda has been almost unbelievably great.  I purchase the cheapest shipping method, DHL, and they quote 15 day shipping, but it usually arrives in 5. 
But it has to be remembered, Tayda now has a wharehouse/shipping center in the USA now.  So our North American experience may not translate well for UK.  BUT when my Tayda orders came from Thailand, the shipping was still fast and the prices are great.  They sent me perf instead of vero once, but I will eventually use it.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

jeffaroo

Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

slacker775

I've gotten a bunch from mammoth and Tayda and haven't had any issues that weren't my fault.

midwayfair

I know this has basically already been said, but PT2399s are known to be inconsistent. Unless someone specifies that they are selling tested units, there's no reason to assume that any supplier is selling you something different than Tayda. There are some ebay sellers who might sell counterfeit chips.

Of the 19 or so PT2399s I've bought from Tayda, I've thrown away three of them for motorboating, two are marked for breadboarding only (some motorboating but not bad enough to trash), and four that I got recently haven't been fully tested yet. None were "nonworking." I didn't have a problem with the two I got from Smallbear, but that could easily be the luck of the draw (and in fact I soldered them without even testing them so I got really lucky).

I like Smallbear and order from them often, but Steve doesn't, so far as I know, test his PT2399s (or have them tested, like his JFETs), so given that I've learned my lesson and I'm socketting or testing all my PT2399s now, even if he did test them, $4 is SEVEN of the same chip from Tayda. No chip has an 80% failure rate. I think a couple people just had really rotten luck.

madbean

I've got some of those "DTC" marked ones and of the few I've tested they were fine. Lower noise floor than some of my others from Tayda. Considering the cheap prices you can get through Tayda and eBay it just makes sense to get a bunch of them and sort out the bad ones. I cannot see paying $4 for a PT2399. However, Steve most likely gets his through a broker which probably gets them directly from the manufacturer...so I doubt he ends up with any fakes, clones, etc.

whitebread47

Quote from: midwayfair on December 30, 2012, 06:54:00 PM
Of the 19 or so PT2399s I've bought from Tayda, I've thrown away three of them for motorboating, two are marked for breadboarding only (some motorboating but not bad enough to trash), and four that I got recently haven't been fully tested yet. None were "nonworking." .

I like Smallbear and order from them often, but Steve doesn't, so far as I know, test his PT2399s (or have them tested, like his JFETs), so given that I've learned my lesson and I'm socketting or testing all my PT2399s now, even if he did test them, $4 is SEVEN of the same chip from Tayda. No chip has an 80% failure rate. I think a couple people just had really rotten luck.

I've heard that Smallbear tests theirs, but I haven't seen anything about it on their site.

I think I may just be one of those that has had rotten luck, considering the number of members on this and other forums who've had little to no trouble out of Tayda's chips.  I certainly order lots of things from Tayda on the regular, so may just buy $5 worth next time to test my paranoia (it's certainly not a huge gamble price wise).

Quote from: madbean on December 30, 2012, 07:23:10 PM
I've got some of those "DTC" marked ones and of the few I've tested they were fine. Lower noise floor than some of my others from Tayda.

That's actually pretty reassuring.  I don't care if the "DTC" chips are not genuine PT2399's so long as they function the same and don't introduce any funky noise. 

Which begs the question: Is there really any profit gained by faking an already inexpensive chip, and what is being used as the fake?  A counterfeit MN3005 makes much more sense given the value of the real ones, but these leave me a bit baffled.
Blake

jeffaroo

its always a gamble on electronics. Thats why i never buy just what i need, I always +1 - +6 things. Especialy those harder to find parts. Besides you fill up your parts drawer that way !   ;D
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !