News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wot I've been tinkering with lately...

Started by nzCdog, October 13, 2012, 03:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzCdog

First proto of my Tube/SS guitar amp... @ 1 Watt!    Gain control and switchable clean/dirty modes.  Speakers are 3" Philips old stock... :D  The cab is only tacked to gether, needs work so don't laugh ;)

Klone engageed at the end... Filmed lofi using our cybershot digital camera :-\

jubal81

Sounds pretty damn good. What was your inspiration?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

atreidesheir

With a 10 or 12 inch speaker, these little amps sound really awesome.  Great playing by the way.  12au7 is a great option in any situation.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

JakeFuzz

Dude this thing sounds awesome! I would love to see a schem when it is all finished. Is that saturation coming from the SS pre-amp section? You are running the 12AU7 single ended or PP?

nzCdog

Thanks guys  ;D

Quote from: jubal81 on October 13, 2012, 01:38:35 PM
Sounds pretty damn good. What was your inspiration?
Thanks man.  Inspiration = design something using the spare bits around my desk... lol.  I've been wanting to build a tube amp for ages but can't afford it yet.  As it is now, this one fits in a 1590B

Quote from: juansolo on October 13, 2012, 02:53:36 PM
Like!
Thanks mate :)

Quote from: atreidesheir on October 13, 2012, 04:38:45 PM
With a 10 or 12 inch speaker, these little amps sound really awesome.  Great playing by the way.  12au7 is a great option in any situation.
Cheers man... I hate doin demos coz all of a sudden I hear all my mistakes when playing... lol.  I wanna get my hands on a G12H or something when I get some $$, be cool to hear how it  goes.

Quote from: JakeFuzz on October 13, 2012, 05:13:30 PM
Dude this thing sounds awesome! I would love to see a schem when it is all finished. Is that saturation coming from the SS pre-amp section? You are running the 12AU7 single ended or PP?
Thanks Paul... actually the 12AU7 is the preamp, and the power amp is SS.  Next step is working on a tonestack... Those little 3" speakers are superb guitar amp speakers, they kinda act like a LPF so I've been able to skimp on the filtering.  Through hifi speakers it still sounds pretty harsh, so I'll put up a schemo and pcb when I get it set up for various speaker options :)

alanp

If only you weren't in Christchurch... I've got a 2x12 with a pair of G12H's, and some G12M's sitting in the corner in their boxes.

I take it you went with a SS power amp to avoid needing a output transformer?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

nzCdog

Quote from: alanp on October 13, 2012, 11:34:03 PM
If only you weren't in Christchurch... I've got a 2x12 with a pair of G12H's, and some G12M's sitting in the corner in their boxes.

I take it you went with a SS power amp to avoid needing a output transformer?
Haha... Alan I've said that a few times myself over the last couple years ;)
Yes, no transformers are required, and it's powered off 12VDC. Sounds like your speakers might be feeling neglected!