News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Maestro Boomerang Rebuild

Started by jkokura, October 13, 2012, 01:04:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

I never seem to remember to snap pics of my builds, so I haven't posted anything in ages. I completed a project today though, and remembered to snap shots of it.

This is a Maestro Boomerang Shell that I got in a trade a long time ago. The previous owner had tried to do a moddable wah in there, I think of the BYOC variety but maybe it was GGG, don't remember. Anyway, it has two holes on one side, unfortunately, but otherwise the shell is in great shape.

I found some etchable boards for the original BG-2 circuit, but I decided to do a layout of my own, got it made at OshPark. Fired up first time.

If anyone wants one of the spare PCBs, let me know. For a few bucks, you too could have a BG-2 too...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

k.rock!

Cool! The Boomerang is such a cool wah... that's why it was use to record the Shaft theme song :P
Clean as always man!

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

icecycle66

That's some nice prodcut placement there on the guts pic.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pickdropper

Nice looking build, Jacob.  Is that pedal larger than a normal wah?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alexradium

Quote from: k.rock! on October 13, 2012, 01:53:55 AM
Cool! The Boomerang is such a cool wah... that's why it was use to record the Shaft theme song :P
Clean as always man!

-K
that was on the film score,in the record Skip Pitts used the crybaby,check out the man himself tellin this in the wah wah video on YT

k.rock!

Quote from: alexradium on October 15, 2012, 05:05:58 PM
Quote from: k.rock! on October 13, 2012, 01:53:55 AM
Clean as always man!

-K
that was on the film score,in the record Skip Pitts used the crybaby,check out the man himself tellin this in the wah wah video on YT

Interesting! I'll check that out :P

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

joegagan

very clean work, congrats. love it. the yellow fasel is nice in these.

is it also a volume pedal?

there is a world of low mid wonder available when a proper rev log pot 25k or 50k is used. the hotpotz2 sweeps past the mids so fast the ind /gd cap cannot fully charge.

joegagan

j, thought you might like my latest BG2 resto-mod BOOMACHO. (sold to a collector in france, early 68 Bg2 with the rare white inductor, bg1 inductor)

jkokura

Quote from: joegagan on October 16, 2012, 04:16:24 AM
very clean work, congrats. love it. the yellow fasel is nice in these.

is it also a volume pedal?

there is a world of low mid wonder available when a proper rev log pot 25k or 50k is used. the hotpotz2 sweeps past the mids so fast the ind /gd cap cannot fully charge.

That's precisely what I'm getting. I don't have the right pot it seems.

Yes, it is a volume pedal as well. The sweep is terrible as a volume pedal though.

Your enclosure certainly looks interesting.  One of the weird things about boomerangs is that the in and out are backwards - that threw me for a bit.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

joegagan

just built the first with jacob's board. excellent board, a little tight but i could deal with it.

this one has a few mods, 220k input vol, larger input r (33k) to compensate, 500 ohm trim to ground off Q1 E, etc.
making my own inductors from surplus sourced toroids and some R in series added.
i used vintage metal can motorola 2n2222s, 180- 220 hfe range.

here is what it sounds like boosted with a fuzz:

thanks, jacob, job well done!

the3secondrule

I've probably totally missed the boat on this, but any more of those BG2 pcb's floating around Jacob?

J
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

nzCdog

Quote from: joegagan on December 23, 2012, 07:41:46 AM
just built the first with jacob's board. excellent board, a little tight but i could deal with it.

this one has a few mods, 220k input vol, larger input r (33k) to compensate, 500 ohm trim to ground off Q1 E, etc.
making my own inductors from surplus sourced toroids and some R in series added.
i used vintage metal can motorola 2n2222s, 180- 220 hfe range.

thanks, jacob, job well done!

Wow! Good on you for making your own inductors!  What kind of inductance values were you getting?
Sounds great!

joegagan

Thanks!  They are little toroids made for isolation in phone networks. The specsheet says 800mh/15 ohm but when i got them they actually measure average 570-680 mh.

Pot is PEC 50k log.

jkokura

Quote from: the3secondrule on December 23, 2012, 08:03:14 AM
I've probably totally missed the boat on this, but any more of those BG2 pcb's floating around Jacob?

J

I might have one left. Let me look around. I didn't think there was enough demand for them, so I didn't get a lot of stock, Joe asked for a batch for himself and I obliged.

Joe - that build is rad man. I didn't think much about mounting really. I think there should be some holes for standoffs in any future iteration for sure. That video sounds epic though, really impressed.

I can't wait to do my shootout of my BoomWah, the Weener, a Modded Vox and a stock Crybaby... it's gonna be rad. Gonna have to use some fuzz for sure.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*