News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Suggestions for octave and/or delay for bass player

Started by Om_Audio, October 10, 2012, 01:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Om_Audio

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to an octave or delay project that has any particular suitability for a bass player. I am making a gift for a friend. I am almost tempted to build a double box with a Smoothie and Lowrider but the Lowrider looks pretty involved.
Thanks-
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

madbean

You can adapt most PT2399 delays for bass just by increasing the input and output decoupling capacitors to 1uF or great. Keep in mind the freq range of the PT2399 is something like 5k, so I don't think there is anything special you need to do to adjust filtering for bass.

For octave, more or less the same rules apply. There are plenty of circuits that can be modified for bass just by changing those input and output caps. Now, if you wanna get real slick, add a clean blend in parallel!

icecycle66

I have recently had a good experience with the Low Rider.

I have a build report on it with a few demos.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6497.0

The Low Rider is a little involved.  I was scared at first, but only had one issue with it. (Don't jumper anything unless you are told too.) http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6424.0

I think it was a good first build in the "Genius" category.

Edit- I am a bass player and I would like a free smoothie/octave pedal.  If you doe the two in one box, make sure the smoothie goes after the octave.

sgmezei

I built a lowrider for a bass playing buddy of mine and he LOVES it. Can even get cool synth-like sounds with the octave up.

Om_Audio

Thanks so much for the info guys!

Brian thanks, I had just read a bunch of folks saying how much they loved clean blend on bass pedals- I will def be looking into this- and also for myself- I play bass as well.

I actually meant Cave Dweller not Smoothie.

I have a Micro POG that works well, and it has a wet/dry that I always have set to blend dry in usually 100%. Would be good to do a Lowrider regardless just to compare. Honestly i'd rather have a home built than the Micro POG.

icecycle66: I remember your IC4 heating up- and the jumper you had on there! Thanks for the links and info!

C
Sent via soup cans and string.