News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Non-Bean content: First vero build! (Maestro MFZ-1)

Started by lincolnic, October 06, 2012, 03:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lincolnic

A guitarist I work with asked me to build him a clone of the big wedge Maestro MFZ-1. I decided it would be a good chance to jump into the world of vero, and it was pretty fun!

I picked this color specifically because it reminded me of a car from the 50s...or possibly a fridge.

The three box caps to the left of the IC didn't have long enough leads to get where they needed to be, so I had to solder extra leads (leftover from some resistors, I think) onto one side of them first. Kind of silly, but it worked!

I've been digging around http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/, and I foresee a few other vero builds in my future.

bigrigg

Nice tidy build.  Congrats on your first vero..I just did mine a while back too.  Much easier than etch at home although not quite as slick. The site you mention, Ivlark blog for tagboard is a fantastic site for vero projects.

lincolnic

Thanks! What'd you build? I've actually got another vero populated on my desk right now (|v|ark's updated Vox Repeat Percussion), but it's taking a backseat until I get this Multiplex finished.

Vallhagen

Quote from: lincolnic on October 06, 2012, 03:19:57 AM
Kind of silly, but it worked!

Not silly at all, if you ask me. Rather: Good thinking:)

Good work. Nice color.

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

Bret608

Oh, I like this a lot. I've been checking out Tagboard Effects based on Hoodoo's tip and I'm itching to try one. I notice Mammoth has it so I may add some to my next order.

Doesn't this effect have some kind of Black Keys connection? I don't know a lot about it.

bigrigg

Quote from: lincolnic on October 07, 2012, 03:53:37 AM
Thanks! What'd you build? I've actually got another vero populated on my desk right now (|v|ark's updated Vox Repeat Percussion), but it's taking a backseat until I get this Multiplex finished.
First vero was the El Destructo and then the Match Maker as well.  I posted both here.  Dirty Bird/Rattle Crow and the second a mixer/splitter.  Many more to come.  Just finishing a Fuzz Jade now.  Good luck.

lincolnic

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate all the comments. I'm proud to say that the pedal was delivered to its owner today and he couldn't have been happier. He played it through an early 60s blonde Twin, which sounded great. Also, loud as hell. He mentioned taking this pedal out on the road, which would be awesome, as he tours with some pretty big names.

Bigrigg, I'll take another look at your builds for sure.

Bret, if you're considering jumping into vero, you should definitely try it. My advice is to start with something small so that you can get a feel for working with the stripboard (that's what I did). There are plenty of projects that have vero layouts, but no readily available PCBs (like this Maestro). As long as you're careful not to create any solder bridges between the rows, it's pretty fun to work with.

Bengt, thanks - I'm a fan of your builds, so I really appreciate the compliments from you!

As far as the Black Keys connection, I think it was supposed to have been used a lot on one of their albums, but I don't know which one off-hand. I don't really know much about their music, to be honest.

jalmonsalmon

So far I have made a tonebender pro MK II with OC75's and a Mk 1.5 using vero boards and I have no issues with them at all.
Good job on the MFZ-1
I have a purple plexi from lVlark that I am still working on, but I keep getting distracted making madbean pedals! (boneyard, kingslayer, mudbunny)
RAH coming this week that may get my attention over the purple plexi LOL

never ending list!

Cheers!
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .