News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hipster Fuzz Osilation..

Started by hammerheadmusicman, October 01, 2012, 09:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerheadmusicman

Tried the 470pf, and problem solved :) although the pot is seriously 'bunched up', gong to try a reverse log pot next, they are hard to get in the uk though, without paying excessive delivery!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

hammerheadmusicman

I put a 470pf in it as I don't have a 220pf to step it up to, problem solved :) try it and let me know if you have the same results..

I am still getting some serious 'bunching up' on the fuzz pot, so I'm going to try and get hold of a 1k reverse log and give that a go..

Cheers guys, really appreciate all the help :)

George

mgwhit

Bunched up Fuzz pot is classic Fuzz Face.  The reverse log taper will definitely help that.  Glad you got it working.

hammerheadmusicman

Thanks :) I can handle 'bunched up' but all the fuzz is right at the end of the pots track, will give it a try and see what's what.. Is there anything else I can do to try and smooth it out to be less 'bunchy'?

hammerheadmusicman

Sorry about posting things twice posting things twice, for some reason it didn't come up on my screen, so I thought unit hadn't posted, put it up again, and low and behold there its was twice, oops

pryde

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on October 02, 2012, 10:05:42 PM
Thanks :) I can handle 'bunched up' but all the fuzz is right at the end of the pots track, will give it a try and see what's what.. Is there anything else I can do to try and smooth it out to be less 'bunchy'?

Yes. Add a pre-gain pot. This will make the FF much more versatile. Put a 50-100k pot in between your pcb input and 3pdt switch. Works great

hammerheadmusicman

Just to confirm, does the pot need to go to ground as well, I would I be able to put a resistor in between the pcb input and switch to have the same effect? Only fixed not variable..

mgwhit

No, the pre-gain pot does not need to connect to ground.  It is just implemented as a variable resistor directly on the circuit input.  There are example schematics to be found all over if you google for them.

pryde

Here is a crude pic of the pregain mod I did for someone a while ago:

Willybomb

Thanks guys.  I had exactly the same high pitched squeal, and had gone up to 100p to try and fix it.  Trying 220 was no good, but 470p solved it.  I must get a multimeter tomorrow so I can bias it properly, although I've done it to sound good to my ears.