News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Voxinabox - ROG May Queen - First self etch board &fabric covered enclosure

Started by Guybrush, September 29, 2012, 02:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Hey

After a lot of help from Midwayfair with debugging (thanks again Jon) I've just finished my first non-Madbean build.

It's the Runoffgroove May Queen that I've dubbed the Voxinabox.  I know the circuit is not specifically a Vox emulator but I liked the name.  :)  The pedal itself is a great distortion with a nice touch of fuzz.  It's not the Brian May tone exactly but very much in the ball park.

I'm really pleased with how it all (eventually) turned out.  It was my first go at populating a self-etched board so I was doubly happy when it fired up. 

I wanted it to look like the control panel of an AC30 so I built a wooden frame to build the sides up a little.  It was a PITA to get it all to stick together but think it was worth the effort. I think the tolex covering works well too.

Hope you like it!

Buddy Holly kept me company during the build.

The guts are somewhat neater than my last attempts but still got a long way to go.

Here's the enclosure with the wood frame before I covered it.

Haberdasher

that tolex looks awesome.  what kind of adhesive do you use to do something like this?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

GrindCustoms

Wow! First time i see one in that fashion, that little frame does it all for me! 8)

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

lincolnic

pickdropper

Wow, what a unique way to do the box.  Almost like a shadowbox effect.  That really looks great.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

icecycle66

nzCdog

midwayfair

That's easily one of the most awesome enclosures I've ever seen. The little wooden frame, the tolex, a good graphic, and a chicken head to boot.

Glad you got it working! Any idea what changes finally got it to function?

Guybrush

Thank you so much guys.  The kind words from you lot who make such fantastic pedals is enormously encouraging.  What a nice bunch of people hang out here! :)
Quote from: Haberdasher on September 29, 2012, 02:29:52 PM
that tolex looks awesome.  what kind of adhesive do you use to do something like this?
Cheers man!  There was a LOT of trial and error and do-overs getting everything to stick together.  There doesn't seem to be any one product that would work for everything.
I used JB Weld Red & Black to stick the wood to the enclosure. 
This spray adhesive for sticking the tolex to the enclosure http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004JIYD16/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
And plain old Super Glue for sticking the tolex to the wood (and my fingers).

Quote from: midwayfair on September 30, 2012, 02:01:30 AM
That's easily one of the most awesome enclosures I've ever seen. The little wooden frame, the tolex, a good graphic, and a chicken head to boot.
Glad you got it working! Any idea what changes finally got it to function?
Thanks Jon.  It's really appreciated.  Not really sure what the issue (or issues) was.  I re-flowed some dodgy looking solder joints and swapped all the transistors for new ones and it worked perfectly.  Thank you for all the help. I have literally no idea how you store all that knowledge!

Really liking the sound of the pedal. It sounds fantastic with some reverb after it.  I swapped the socketed 2n2 cap for a higher value as my Tele was too bright with the 2n2. 

njkke

Can somebody tell me why I read Vaginabox instead of Voxinabox everytime I read this post? XD

Guybrush

Stig

Quote from: njkke on September 30, 2012, 11:57:30 AM
Can somebody tell me why I read Vaginabox instead of Voxinabox everytime I read this post? XD
I do the exact same thing :-)

Vallhagen

Quote from: Stig on September 30, 2012, 06:01:54 PM
Quote from: njkke on September 30, 2012, 11:57:30 AM
I do the exact same thing :-)

Maybe you should team up with njkke then, and design a vag in a bag. ;) ... (sorry for keeping this OT track alive... but it made me thinking of why i DONT see the vag-word, but vox. I came up with two reasons, 1: It actually saiz "vox". 2: It rhymes with box. )

Indeed a nice build Guybrush. Marvellous enclosure job. And congrats to a successful self-etch. I find it addicting:)

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

raulduke

Dude... nice build!

I love the Tolex and overall look of the build.

sgmezei