News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Compressor Party

Started by murdog47, September 27, 2012, 03:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murdog47

A friend wanted a compressor so I made a couple for him to pick from. An Engineers Thumb (Special thanks to Jon P for helping get this one up and running) and a Keeley Style four knob. Both sound really good and make me want to play some Brad Paisley!

alanp

Seriously loving those graphics :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

sgmezei

Nice man! Great looking builds. What are your thoughts about them? Any major tonal differences.

stecykmi

very cool, what values did you use for the "non stock" attack, release and threshold controls on the engineer's thumb? how well do they work?

nzCdog

Yeah nice job!  Squish that signal man...  you keeping them both?

njkke

can you told me something more bout those mods? I'm really curious!

raulduke

Thats a class couple of compressors there.

I really like the look of the Great White Comp; looks like a studio compressor with all the proper controls available.

Have you tried running anything else (drums, bass etc.) through the engineers thumb?

Ettore_M

Indeed, both of them look great! But I like more the Great White Comp! It looks SO versatile! The next days I'll build two Flatlines (the one for a friend), and then I'm going for an Enginner's Thumb! It's a must!  ;D

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

midwayfair

Excellent work! I think your friend will be very happy. :)

GrindCustoms

Great Job! really dig the look of those! 8)

May i ask a bit more details about the engineers thumb?
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

stecykmi

Quote from: GrindCustoms on September 27, 2012, 02:44:06 PM
Great Job! really dig the look of those! 8)

May i ask a bit more details about the engineers thumb?

here is the designer's site, in case you haven't seen it: http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/engineersthumb.html

the man is a genius, by the way. check out the glass blower, a booster that can produce 12Vp-p signals on a 9V battery.

midwayfair

Quote from: stecykmi on September 27, 2012, 04:05:19 PM
glass blower, a booster that can produce 12Vp-p signals on a 9V battery.

I want to build one and give it to someone I don't like, telling them to run it first in their chain. Booom. hehe.

GrindCustoms

Thanks for the link ;)

Wich components have you replaced with pots?

Here's what i think have been done, correct me if i'm wrong please.

R11 have been replaced with a 100k pot for Attack control.

R12 have been replace with a 1M pot Release control.

C8 is on a SPST switch

Can't see what you did for the Treshold control.......... ::)

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

midwayfair

Quote from: GrindCustoms on September 27, 2012, 06:26:11 PM
Thanks for the link ;)

Wich components have you replaced with pots?

Here's what i think have been done, correct me if i'm wrong please.

R11 have been replaced with a 100k pot for Attack control.

R12 have been replace with a 1M pot Release control.

C8 is on a SPST switch

Can't see what you did for the Treshold control.......... ::)

They're all in one of MerlinB's schematics, I think the simplified scheme (there's one that has the mods in red). The Threshold is the 1M Vb resistor on IC1 Pin5. My personal recommendation is to be prepared to use minimum series resistors with the Decay (Release) control and the Threshold if you do those mods; you can easily introduce pumping or other "bad" settings.

Bret608

Say, whose layout did you use for the Keeley? Really like the look of both of these though!