News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

23. AFTERLIFE

Started by Liustucru, September 26, 2012, 08:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liustucru

I built this one in less than one hour (except for the enclosure drilling and painting).
I add the sensitivity knob that MIDWAYFAIR suggested. It adds more versatility and make the sound shine with a good attack and sustain when rolling back the knob and add extra squish with the knob all the way up.

I am very glad about the finish of this one.
Just one letter for the knob labels to remain sober.
Hope you'll like it too.

midwayfair

Red starlight? The gold lettering on that finish looks great. I was planning this exact color combination for a mini Cosmopolitan!

I like the simplicity of these builds, but at the clip you're going, I wonder if there will come a point where you have to open up the case to remember which pedal it is! :P

Liustucru

Quote from: midwayfair on September 26, 2012, 12:45:42 PM
Red starlight? The gold lettering on that finish looks great. I was planning this exact color combination for a mini Cosmopolitan!

Actually, it is some kind of Sparkle red from a spray can.
And the lettering is silver Stazon ink but the flash light of the camera makes it look goldish.
It looks greater in real  ;)

Quote from: midwayfair on September 26, 2012, 12:45:42 PM
I like the simplicity of these builds, but at the clip you're going, I wonder if there will come a point where you have to open up the case to remember which pedal it is! :P

I fear that too !!!
But it becomes very hard for me when it comes to name them.
I want to be original and have my own names but it seems I have the writer's block syndrome.

midwayfair

Quote from: Liustucru on September 26, 2012, 01:12:04 PM
I want to be original and have my own names but it seems I have the writer's block syndrome.

well, here's a fun one for the Afterlife: Elate Riff. It's an anagram. Sometimes they're fun for breaking writers' block. :)

Names are hard, but at some point your creative muscles will get limber and then they won't stop. You'll want to build something just to use the name ... :)

Here are some ways that have worked for me (I'm not saying every name I come up with is good, but some I think are):
1) A pun. Simply look for some word play on what it does or the original name.
2) Thesaurus rape. Go nuts with the synonyms until something clicks.
3) Anagrams. Even if you don't use the results, they can get the juices flowing. And they can be automated: http://wordsmith.org/anagram
4) Something personal. Like noticing that I have a large number of rubber duckies. Or putting a reference to one of my favorite books on it.

I have a couple rules: If I don't do any mods and it's someone else's PCB or layout, it gets the original name unless I think the name is just offensive or trademarked (so I won't be naming anything "Big Muff").

icecycle66

I like naming pedals, but don't.

I get too attached to them if I do, it's like when kids name strays. 

If they have names, I am more reluctant to switch them out from my pedal board.

GrindCustoms

That red looks awesome, i also have that spray can :)

Naming pedals is something i really enjoy........, sometime they're offensive for others..........but what the hell....they're mine... ;)

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

midwayfair

Quote from: GrindCustoms on September 26, 2012, 02:27:19 PM

I want to subscribe to your newsletters. Anyone got a link?

GrindCustoms

Quote from: midwayfair on September 26, 2012, 02:47:08 PM

Quote from: GrindCustoms on September 26, 2012, 02:27:19 PM

I want to subscribe to your newsletters. Anyone got a link?

Rustoleum sparkle red! ;)

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Liustucru

I use very cheap spray cans you can buy in any local store (car department) in France

icecycle66

Damn French with their insanely high quality cheeses and spray paints.   ;)
Why can't the US have such nice cheap paint?

I also like the bread.

(Hey, when did I get three stars?  Crap, I'm going to have to start Stombox Staring up and post more build reports.)

Liustucru

Please, don't forget wine  ;D
But we don't have any decent electronic component store  :o

GrindCustoms

Vraiment sympathique qu'un autre francophone soit sur le forum ;)

stecykmi

nice build and surprisingly nice paint job!

Liustucru

Quote from: GrindCustoms on September 26, 2012, 04:43:08 PM
Vraiment sympathique qu'un autre francophone soit sur le forum ;)

Content aussi de pouvoir écrire quelques mots en français sur mon forum préféré.
J'en profite aussi pour te dire que j'hallucine à chaque fois sur tes réalisations.
La finition est parfaite et super originale.
Tu dois y passer beaucoup de temps.
J'ai un Gristleizer presque terminé où j'ai tenté une finition "usée" (en fait je me suis raté et en voulant enlever la peinture, ça a donné un effet plutôt sympa ???).

Looking forward to seeing your next builds  ;)

Bret608

ເປັນຕາຮັກເດີ ພວກຟຣັງເສດເວົ້່ານຳ

That is Laotian for, "How cute, French people talking together!" I know, sounds horrible in translation. Just joining in the non-English fun! I just wish I could make the font bigger. I am so surprised Windows 7 can do good Lao and Thai fonts now!

I did not know Rustoleum made a good sparkle red! I like how their hammertones look...I really like this compressor too!