News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

cave dweller tone sucking?

Started by papasaurus84, September 25, 2012, 05:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papasaurus84

hi all,

i have a cave dweller in my list now but i feel that the pedal is not transparent enough for me. when the effect is on, the output's tone is fairly different with the bypassed tone. is this normal, i mean can i get my original guitar tone? it won't be a problem for me whether the wet signal of the delay is blurred, or noisy, but i want the dry signal clear.

any mods of the schematic, or am i doing wrong in something?

thanks, regards. :)
thousand dollars pedal and DIY is a GAS. the diffrence is the voltage: plus and minus. :D

midwayfair

You can't get complete transparency -- just not enough circuitry for that -- but you can make it sound a little more natural with the following changes:
R1: 470-510K
C1: 33-56n

However, bear in mind that C3 also affects the dry path tone and therefore some highs will always be attenuated. Decreasing C3 will brighten the entire effect but also introduce more noise. Plus, leaving it where it is and brightening the dry path means that the repeats are a little more widely distinguished from the dry path.

I used 470K and 68n in my last Cave Dweller, though I think ideal would have been 510K and 56n. There is a slight boost in mine, which could have been reduced by decreasing R9 a little, but I didn't bother as the boost was very minor.

(More discussion: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5138.0 and http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5326.0)

papasaurus84

thanks jon. last night i'm doing a mod based on your article "natural dweller", but i haven't checked it deep yet. but i feel that the wet volume signal is lil bit "sucked". am i doing wrong? anyway, you've done a great job. inspiring. thanks. :)
thousand dollars pedal and DIY is a GAS. the diffrence is the voltage: plus and minus. :D

midwayfair

Quote from: papasaurus84 on September 27, 2012, 04:12:17 AMbut i feel that the wet volume signal is lil bit "sucked".

Do you mean that the volume is still too low, or that there is not enough treble?

papasaurus84

Quote from: midwayfair on September 27, 2012, 01:28:16 PM
Quote from: papasaurus84 on September 27, 2012, 04:12:17 AMbut i feel that the wet volume signal is lil bit "sucked".

Do you mean that the volume is still too low, or that there is not enough treble?

i figured it out(and re read the pdf), that natural output of cave dweller is "medium-fi" delay. so i think that the wet signal is normal (and normal here is underneath the sea, right?). i mod my input caps by paralelled it with three other caps (so the total caps value is about 333nF), and added a 1m5 resistor parallel to R1. and of course the PCB become a mess like a USS renville. :D.

the result is warmer and fatter dry output sound, with a "underneath" wet signal. the overall output volume increased for about 1,5 times louder than the original signal, and i love it. i haven't check how the dweller works with another pedals, but so far so good for me. :)

Pedro

greetings. I have a similar problem, I mounted the basement dweller v.1. its effect worked 100% but the guitar volume is down and I lose the tone too.
any suggestions?
thank you
sorry English (by google translator)
Peter