News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bit early for this one, but quite pleased with it so far.

Started by juansolo, September 24, 2012, 06:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Well I will be if it works!

Sanity checking tomorrow followed by power.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

sgmezei

Oh Snap that is CLEAN!!! Nice build dude. Good call on the sanity check. Tubes and high voltage means more expensive parts to blow up.

Great Build!

GrindCustoms

Great job man!

I've been lurking at that amp for a while...:)

Was talking about it to CJ yesterday.....6L6 goodness!  8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

nzCdog

juansolo

Standard build is a pair of 6V6s, but I have a pair of Svetlana Winged C 6L6s ready for when we figure out the resistor changes it'll need :)

I didn't mention for others, its a Ampmaker Double Six kit. Schematic here. Seemed only logical to actually make an amp after I've done so many valve pedals.

juansolo

Quote from: nzCdog on September 24, 2012, 07:25:19 PM
Yum yum... now hurry up and finish it :o ;)

Fingers crossed it'll be running tomorrow. Then a trip over to Martin's (MJW amps) as he's making the cab for me. I simply don't have the facilities to do it myself. I have a pair of 10" Eminence 1028K's that I got for an insanely cheap price that'll be going in the cab with it.

oldhousescott

If you don't have a light bulb limiter, it would be worthwhile making one for your first start-up.

Linky

nzCdog

Woooo!  Getting a pro cab done is such a treat, bet it'll look dreamy

angrykoko

Nice work!
Makes me itch to build another amp.

One thing I was told about when I built my amp was the lead dress on the heater wires.  I started off wiring them exactly as you have yours.  Then I was pointed to this page on Valvewizzards site: http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/heater.html

Scroll down to the section "Layout / lead dress:", you'll see a little picture where he runs the heaters over the tube sockets to keep them coming in from one side only.  Read the last paragraph of that section, he explains it well.

The heaters were the biggest source of noise in my amp, this change and adding an artificial center tap really helped a ton.

Looks really great though.. Nice work!
I'm jealous!

Koko

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

juansolo

Ah yes, that's Merlin's site, bit of a ninja that man! His pedal designs are exceptional also.

raulduke

Nice work dude!

I'm looking forward to hearing your first impressions on the amp.

I was going to order one, but alas, it appears he has stopped offering kits for the double six.

juansolo

Success!

Oh I like this! It's not quite as loud as I  expected (which is a bonus), but it's clean all the way around the dial. Then you kick the boost (throws out the tone stack) and yep, there's quite a bit of crunch there. Responds really well to pedals on the front of it too. Lovely clean tone. Which was what I was after, though it doesn't dirty up as nicely as my MJW does, unsurprisingly.

The 6L6s sound much nicer than the 6V6s. However I'm not entirely sure they're running optimally, nor do I think I can when I'm limited to a 15w PSU. Still they'll last a lot longer.  It's got a NOS RFT in the pre-stage after swapping a few around.

The watts switch works. It's really quiet and breaks up easily on 1W. You can talk over it. Obviously it loses a tonne of headroom. But it does what it does well.

Over all really pleased with it. Can't wait for it to get boxed up.

raulduke

Damn it looks so cool dude!

I seriously want one now after your description.

I hope Barry starts selling the kit again  :-[

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

Awesome!  I'm itching to build an amp.  Maybe this winter... The new BYOC kit looks interesting, but I was hoping for a different flavor than Fender.  :)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer