News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

AC187 substitutes/2n1306 uses

Started by Bret608, September 18, 2012, 01:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hi all,

This is a two-pronged yet related thread. First, I'm in the final stages on a Keeley Fuzzhead-based etch that irmcdermott sent me to test. The schem calls for an AC187, and I could certainly get one from Mammoth or PPP. Does anyone know of anything that may be worth trying out instead.

And semi-connected, what do folks know about 2n1306 transistors? They're NPN germanium, right? They seem to have a ton in the electronics lab at the college where I work, and they don't mind me grabbing a couple of pieces of something here and there when students don't use them for projects often. Would this be worth trying in the Fuzzhead circuit, or would it be more suitable for a Fuzz Face?

I know this depends on gain range, leakage, etc; just hoping to draw on all the knowledge around here!

Thanks,

Bret

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

JakeFuzz

Yep I have a bunch of TI 2N1306 that sound awesome in a FF. They will work in just about anything else too (Fuzz head, rangemaster, tonebender...). If you do pick some up drop me a line; I am always down to buy batches of good Ge trannies.

Bret608

Thanks guys. Paul, I'll let you know how those trannies look. I need to grab a handful and also see if they have an appropriate tranny tester down there. Or, this could finally be my impetus to build one.

midwayfair

the 2N13xx series is one of my favorites, ESPECIALLY if you find them in the high 50s and low 60s. The best Rangemaster I've ever built or breadboarded has one in it.

Heck, if you decide you hate 'em, I'll put a few of them to good use. :D

When you're testing them, give them LOTS of time to cool off. Something like 5 minutes after handling. You'll never get an accurate reading otherwise. Chromosphere has a video showing just how quickly the gain jumps with finger heat.

Bret608

I love the 2n1304 in the Cosmopolitan (pretty sure JakeFuzz told it was in the 50s as well), so I'm not surprised it's an all-around good series.

Duly noted on the finger heat! I may end up having to ask one of you to walk me through setting up a tranny testing rig if I can't find anything appropriate in our lab. I already know my DMM can't get a read on germanium, although it works well for silicon.

Bret608

Say, I just watched Chromesphere's tutorials again. He has a simple little vero setup with some tranny sockets, alligator clips, a switch and a battery snap. Do either of you know if a layout for that exists somewhere? I've never used vero but it looks pretty simple!

midwayfair

Quote from: Bret608 on September 18, 2012, 07:58:15 PM
Say, I just watched Chromesphere's tutorials again. He has a simple little vero setup with some tranny sockets, alligator clips, a switch and a battery snap. Do either of you know if a layout for that exists somewhere? I've never used vero but it looks pretty simple!

I'd bet it's probably RG Keen's, described in the Technology of the Fuzz Face. But Chromosphere is on here pretty often, try PMing him. :)

chromesphere

Hi guys,

I have responded to Bret's PM regarding this but thought i'd just post here too incase anyone else needed to know. The tester that i built is smallbear's simplified germanium tester.  Bascially just google "small bear germanium tester" and click on the "FAQ" link.  The circuit is at the bottom of the page.  So simple even i can do it :D

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube