Started by Ang3lus, November 13, 2010, 08:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ang3lus

almost every pedal build pdf has

Parts
• Xicon General or Hi-Temp radial electrolytic caps, 25v
• Panasonic ECQ-B or ECQ-V film caps
• Xicon carbon or metal film resistors, ¼ W
Ceramic, Silver Mica or film for the 390pF and 820pF (stock unit uses film).

are there higher end parts that i can purchase for this pedal ? (this one is the sunking)

i want to build my pedal using the best quality parts possible

eniacmike

those pretty much are high end parts. I guess WIMA caps are more "high end" than panasonic. I think silver mica is considered more "high end" than film for the pF caps.

jkokura

Wima box caps for nf (film)
Silver Mica for pf OR wima box if you can get them
Opa dual op amp instead of tl072
MAX1044scpa
Metal film 1% resistors
1n34a or 1n270 diodes for clipping.

Also, if I were to build this one again, I would buy 1/8 watt metal film resistors for the standing resistors. If you look at the build doc you should see what I mean.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Ang3lus

just out of curiousity

are orange drops any better than the ones you listed ? 715p ?

716p are too big i reckon

but what about paper in oil caps for pedals ?

waste of money ?

madbean

Orange drops will be too big for most of the projects, unless specifically stated that they will fit (CherryBomb, for example).

Honestly, if I had PIO caps I would probably save them for wiring tone controls on my guitars! But, if they are small enough there's certainly nothing wrong with using them, if you don't mind the expense.

Let me add a word on quality: the whole idea of using "high end / the BEST parts" available as many boutiquers claim is pretty much snake oil. The fact is that manufacturing techniques for electronic components are very consistent, and there's very little out there that could be considered "low quality". There are certainly SOME difference in types of materials as it impacts tone, but these are still very subjective to the listener. Fulltone still uses green mylar caps in all of their pedals. No one complains about poor tone in those (well, mostly). And they are cheap!

So, what I'm getting at is don't put too much stock in expense/rareness = superiority. When I use expensive stuff (like orange drop or carbon comp resistors) it's mostly for fun, or because it looks cool. I'd say in 99% of cases I'd be just as happy using my normal stock of parts. But, that's me.... :)

Ang3lus

standing resistors being the ones on the 3pdt switch ?

jkokura

No, they're on the board. They have closer holes. If you look at the a board in the build documents:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Sunking/docs/Sunking_ver.3.pdf

There are two types of images on the board for Resistors. For example, there's a row of resistors that are put in laying down: R9, R8, R13, R14, R19. Using 1/4w resistors they will lay down. RIGHT BESIDE THEM are a set of resistors that look 'shorter': R16, R18, R17. Using 1/4w resistors they would be 'standing'. If you want them to lay down, then use 1/8w resistors for any that look 'shorter'.

Just a suggestion. I will be doing that for my next Sunking build.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Ang3lus

thanks, much appericiated

any other advice for the darkside or fatpants build ?

doing those as well

Ang3lus

are the values listed as R, such as 51R, 470R are just 51 ohm and 470ohm ? or does R stands for something else ?
also, another question, about the pots, some say A and some B, what does that mean ? linear or logical ? which is which ?

jkokura

Yes, R means Ohm.

For pots, A means Audio and B means Linear. C means Reverse Audio.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

thoml

When I ordered the caps for my Sunking project,  I ended up with a silver mica 500v cap for the C8 - would this be ok , or the wrong idea?