News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tonepad Tubescreamer not as loud as I expected - help

Started by Stomptown, September 09, 2012, 09:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stomptown

Hey everyone, here is a tonepad tube screamer TS-808 I built. It is not as loud as I expected and much quieter than my other builds. I already replaced the suggested transistors with MPSA 18's but it is still quiet. Any help is much appreciated. Also check out the Sin City graphics I used on the pedal...

oldhousescott

The transistors shouldn't make any difference since they're configured as unity gain buffers. Double check your resistor values. Take voltage measurements at each pin of the IC and post them (if you have a DMM). Also, that bare jumper on the footswitch looks perilously close to the output pin. It's probably not touching, but it's hard to tell from the pic.

Further discussion probably belongs in the tech help section.

mgwhit

Great looking build -- love the graphics!

What's the value of the resistor right below the empty Ca space?  It's supposed to be 1K, but it looks Brown-Brown-Brown-Gold to me, which would be 110R.  Not a value I'm used to seeing (might just be the light or my old eyes), but if I'm right that would be squashing your output volume.

Your 51K in the first negative feedback loop looks fishy, too, but the red multiplier band means it should be close enough.  Unless I'm reading it backwards.  Good luck!

wolfingsworth

The graphics are killer, very nice build! I built one of these about a year ago and mine is the same way but that doesn't mean I don't like it  :) I use it as my "always on" OD. I put the optional asymmetrial diode on a switch that makes it a little more versital. I love the way It sounds, but if someone knows a mod to give it more punch, I would be interested...

Stomptown

Quote from: mgwhit on September 10, 2012, 01:24:50 AM
Great looking build -- love the graphics!

What's the value of the resistor right below the empty Ca space?  It's supposed to be 1K, but it looks Brown-Brown-Brown-Gold to me, which would be 110R.  Not a value I'm used to seeing (might just be the light or my old eyes), but if I'm right that would be squashing your output volume.

Your 51K in the first negative feedback loop looks fishy, too, but the red multiplier band means it should be close enough.  Unless I'm reading it backwards.  Good luck!

I just checked and its actually red red red gold which makes it a 2.2K. I initially had a 1K in there and read on a forum that a 2.2K could make it louder. It honestly sounds the same as before to me. I like the pedal it just doesn't have the juice to be used as a lead pedal without turning volume up to 11.

mgwhit

Quote from: Stumptown Electronics on September 10, 2012, 04:39:03 AM
I just checked and its actually red red red gold which makes it a 2.2K. I initially had a 1K in there and read on a forum that a 2.2K could make it louder. It honestly sounds the same as before to me. I like the pedal it just doesn't have the juice to be used as a lead pedal without turning volume up to 11.

Red-Red-Red-Gold (2.2K) makes a lot more sense!  And, yeah, that should actually be goosing your volume slightly.  If you don't mind disassembling it, I would check for potential solder bridges on the board and make sure your Drive and Volume pots aren't accidentally swapped.  That's an easy mistake to make and would certainly result in lower maximum volume.

slimtriggers

Love that graphic!

My first TS build was this Tonepad version.  I don't remember it being quiet.  I'll dig it out and A/B it with my Green Bean today if I get a chance.

Diamond

What do you mean exactly by 'quiet'? Where, on the volume knob, do you reach unity gain?

Could you please post IC and transistor voltages?

slimtriggers

FWIW, I tested mine against my Green Bean and only noticed a slight volume difference, with the Green Bean being a little louder.  I would attribute that to the different diodes in the pedals, though.

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

nzCdog

I really like the graphic on this one... might have to try a comic theme myself

wolfingsworth

Quote from: slimtriggers on September 12, 2012, 05:31:59 PM
FWIW, I tested mine against my Green Bean and only noticed a slight volume difference, with the Green Bean being a little louder.  I would attribute that to the different diodes in the pedals, though.

Against my Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde, my tonepad screamer is much more quiet. I get some nice tones nonetheless, but not nearly as much 'boost' as one might expect. What could be the reason for this?

mgwhit

The Visual Sound website says that the Jekyll & Hyde has "far more output volume than the original TS-808".  They've obviously tweaked the TS circuit to provide that extra volume so it's not a straight up comparison.

wolfingsworth

That makes sense! It is Pretty dang loud if you want it to be:)