News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

GuitarPCB 2knob job mod board- interesting!

Started by Om_Audio, September 07, 2012, 09:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Om_Audio

New mod board at GuitarPCB- http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3364008
This seems so cool, giving the ability to switch between 2 settings of any pot in a project. I can also imagine using 2 internal trim pots and skipping external pot all together in some cases.

Would love to hear other folk's ideas on how to use this board.

C
Sent via soup cans and string.

jubal81

Beavis has a nice tutorial on how this works. I've been thinking of a good use for those concentric pots Smallbear has.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

midwayfair

It's useful for the trimpot switching but not really for doing two pots. You can do that easily on a 3PDT switch (lug 2 of each pot is common -- the switch just swaps lugs 1 and 3 of each, so you only need two poles; the LED can be wired to the third pole as normal).

However, switching pots in and out of a circuit is highly likely to cause pops, and pretty loud ones in gain circuits. If this were engineered to handle that in any sort of universal way, I could see it being worth it. Instead it's just an etched board that doesn't save you any wiring if you're using the pots (you still have to run wires to the board) and doesn't save much wiring if you're using trimmers, but can save you a small amount of time, say, cutting up a piece of 4x6 perfboard and soldering the trimpots to that instead. Hard to imagine that being worth a $5 etch.

jubal81

Cool would be a board with a 4066 or two for lots of switching with a momentary.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair