News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Though-Zero Chorus?

Started by Isaiah, September 05, 2012, 08:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaiah

Hi all,

First post here, though I've been lurking for some time.

I have two Pork Barrel chorus PCBs (amongst other Mad Bean PCBs) that I'm looking forward to assembling.
I had intended to install a switch to cut the dry signal for vibrato.
Then I thought that the second chorus could be built with the LFO omitted (a fixed delay line),
and used in place of the dry signal. I believe this is how a through-zero flanger works, right?
I'm not sure how this would sound though, as flanger delay times are much shorter than chorus delay times.
Anybody care to guess how this might sound ? Is it worth pursuing?
The controls would be Depth, Rate and a rotary switch to select Vibrato, Chorus or TZ Chorus.

Any suggestions or thoughts be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Scruffie

I don't think it'll be too interesting... not sure if I tried it or not before, the point of flanging going through that point is for that weird nothings quite there sound, but a chorus wont produce that, it'll probably just be delay time that you may even be able to hear (a MN3101 can't clock that high so min delay time might be a bit much to have in the dry signal) with a chorus sweeping back and forth over it with an occasional frozen sound spot.

Personally, i'd try running them in parallel, the point of chorus is to emulate several guitars really so by having two, set to different rates & or delay times you'll increase the 'voices' of the chorus.

Or you could cut one LFO, add an inverter between the LFO & clock and have a BOSS DC-2 style thing going on. One chorus sweeping up while the other sweeps down and vice versa.
Works at Lectric-FX

Isaiah

Thanks for the suggestion, that does sound more interesting.

Does the DC-2 work by mixing the dry signal with the outputs of two parallel delay lines modulated by the same LFO, equal depth but opposite directions?
I think the best combinations would be - Vibrato (delay A), Chorus I (dry and delay A), and Chorus II (dry, delay A & B).
What do you think?

Scruffie

Quote from: Isaiah on September 05, 2012, 10:04:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, that does sound more interesting.

Does the DC-2 work by mixing the dry signal with the outputs of two parallel delay lines modulated by the same LFO, equal depth but opposite directions?
I think the best combinations would be - Vibrato (delay A), Chorus I (dry and delay A), and Chorus II (dry, delay A & B).
What do you think?

As far as I recall that's how it works yes, you'd have to check the schematic.

That sounds sensible to me combination wise, if you can't be bothered with the extra work of putting the LFOs in opposite directions i'm sure it'll still sound good with just the two delay lines rather than one... perhaps dual gang pots to control both rates and depths at once and a delay time control for each chorus.

Plenty of options so you'll just need to experiment.
Works at Lectric-FX