News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I say DaaaaAAaaaaamn

Started by jubal81, September 01, 2012, 06:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Got a kingslayer put together today and hells bells does it deserve an obnoxious thread title.
It absolutely kills. Seriously, Brian, this thing is a damn masterpiece. Easily, EASILY the best damn overdrive I've ever played.

Soft clippers are Bat46, then a pair of 1n50 germs and those expensive as hell LM313s I had left over from a Sunking build.
I also hit for the cycle, using every color cap I had.

I'll add some more pictures when I think of a cool box to put it in.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

mgwhit

Very cool.  Dual-gang Gain pot or separate pots?  My boards arrived this morning!

madbean

Great! I can't believe you already put this together. I just shipped it like two days ago, ha ha.

I'm so happy that you are pleased with it :)

What do you think of the LM313s? I've never tried those myself in anything.

Om_Audio

Audio demo if you get the chance sir! Looks great.
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

pryde

Aww shitte. I told myself I don't need one of these. Shoulda never clicked on the obnoxious title  :D

night-B

First feeling : "oh my god! I must build it!"
Second feeling : "oh my god! I've got soooo much PCBs to populate before jumping on this one"
:-\

jubal81

It's a dual-gang with ribbon cable. I'm becoming a real convert to the ribbon.

The LM313s won the diode battle when I went into the 'lab' for hours with my Sunking - thanks to reports on the board here for suggesting them. The range on the 6 I got was between .58 and .6. I haven't tried it yet, but a pair of Bat41s in series would get you close and probably sound pretty badass.

I really like everything about it. To my ears, it bridges the divide with the tone and soul of a Fet drive with the crispness and presence of an opamp drive.

I hate to sound like I'm gushing, but I've built a buttload of dirt pedals and this is the first one where I knew without a doubt it passes the 'if I only had room for one dirt pedal on the board' test.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

bigmufffuzzwizz

I'm stoked your so stoked! I bet you started on it as soon as it came out of the package!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

madbean

I should have a demo of the Kingslayer and Sparkplug completed tomorrow.

midwayfair

Lucky sod! Mine arrived in Baltimore this morning at 12:03AM but didn't get delivered. Got my box, though. :)

Those reference diodes look spicy in there. :)

nzCdog

coolies!  bring the demos!!! ;D

the3secondrule

"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

jtn191

It's an obnoxious question but do you like it even more than the sunking? I've built two of those...

Om_Audio

Where did you get the ribbon style connector wire? I need some of that!
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

monkeyssj1

you can get some at smallbear