News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question On LDR

Started by frankie5fingers, August 29, 2012, 03:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankie5fingers

Hey All.  I planned on using a Parralax photoresistor but then found a Fender Vibrato LDR Optocoupler/Optoisolator.  The description reads:  Nonpolarized optical side has longer and silver dot, resistive side has longer leads and no dot.  I'm not familiar with this.  Can I/should I use this rather than the standard LDR from Mouser (or wherever) - any advantage?  Then... if so, how do I mount it (the 4 leads) vs the the two lead LDR?
Thanks, Frank

jkokura

I could be wrong about this, but I think what you have is a Vactrol, not just an LDR.

The reason I suggest this is that four leads indicate that it's both an LDR AND an LED in one package, in other words, a Vactrol. That's why there's four leads - one for the the resistive end (light dependant resistor = LDR) and one for the optical side (LED).

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

TNblueshawk

I have an optocoupler I'm going to use in a delay that is very similar to that. I socketed it in case it doesn't do it for me and then I'll roll my own.

Google the data sheet on that and it will point you in the direction that you want to go regarding what lead to put in what hole.
John

frankie5fingers

Sorry for the delay in response.... damn day job.
I will socket it.  I have to believe that anything marked both Fender and vibrato has to find a home a trem, right?
I haven't bought it but I will and report whether or not it was a good choice.
Thanks, Frank