News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Is the what the Pepper Spray is generaly supposed to sound like?

Started by icecycle66, August 29, 2012, 02:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

Is the what the Pepper Spray is generaly supposed to sound like?

I used the Albini ingredients, straight off the list, with BAT41's.

Bret608

That's more or less how my Albini-spec version sounds. It's always struck me as somewhat lower-gain than I expected compared to what I heard online, but I think that's the difference between the Albini and the "stock" specs. The latter is more of a full-on fuzz; the Albini is more of a fuzzy overdrive.

Did you have both pots turned up all the way? Also, what kind of guitar and amp are you using? I notice this thing is very, very sensitive to different setups (in a good way, of course!).

icecycle66

I also thought it would be higher gain.

I recorded that with my Musiciand Friend Special setup. It's my desktop test rig.

Rogue G10 10W 1x3.5 Guitar Combo Amp
Some Rouge H/H guitar I got years ago.

Bret608

I think both midwayfair and JakeFuzz had some luck getting a bit higher gain out of the Albini specs by tweaking the component values--look at their build reports for details. I like mine pretty well, but I would like to either try a "stock" specs version sometime, or re-box my current one (don't love the compromises the drilling job forced me to make) and maybe use the opportunity to tweak a part value or two.

GhostofJohnToad

Hmmm.  Yours sounds like there is a little ring mod thing going.  What tranny you use?

It's certainly not a high gain distortion/fuzz.  But I will say with my King of Klone in front of it boosting it a bit it sounds really really good.  I built the Albini version as well. 

GhostofJohnToad

Bret608

Quote from: GhostofJohnToad on August 29, 2012, 04:53:01 PM
Hmmm.  Yours sounds like there is a little ring mod thing going.  What tranny you use?

It's certainly not a high gain distortion/fuzz.  But I will say with my King of Klone in front of it boosting it a bit it sounds really really good.  I built the Albini version as well. 

It does like to stack. I put it after my Way Huge Pork Loin when I still had that, and it sounded massive and thick for leads.