News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Monster Muff conversion... Sovtek Black Muff

Started by skullservant, August 28, 2012, 08:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullservant

So I was given the opportunity to transform a stock Sovtek 6 screw Big Muff into a true monster.

It was requested to beef up and replace all the capacitors in the muff, true bypass it, add a tone bypass, mids switch, and oscillation. I made the oscillation tunable, added a pregain knob to clean up some of the hair, made the mids a 3 way switch between stock, boosted, and flat. Replaced all the wires, and added LEDs for each stomp switch (left is tone bypass, right is oscillation, center is engage. Oh, and I replaced the caps to Green Muff specs. So it really turned into a beast.

Replacing the caps was definitely hardest, or, should I say pulling the old ones was the hardest. I pulled up two traces on the PCB, but managed to secure them in place with extra solder and flux to the point where they are extra stable.

The mids switch was actually a lot more responsive than I would have thought it would be. I actually really enjoy it with boosted mids, it doesn't loose too much of the Muff sound either!

Here are some pictures, I'll get some better ones tonight once I get home:

bigrigg

Nice Frankenstein work my friend.  Congrats

night-B

Nice job! I think you should have put that thread in the build reports  as you don't give instructions for the mods you've done  ;)

skullservant

Ah! Sorry, still trying to get used to format of the forum!  :-[

Thank you both for the kind words!

lincolnic

Missed this post before, loving the crazy modded style.

BraindeadAudio

Working on something similar with a housemates green russian his brother said was broken....only had a broken battery clip. Going to hot rod the board with top of the line vintage parts.

skullservant

Would love to see the results after its finished!