News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Afterlife on Bass. Mods?

Started by irmcdermott, August 28, 2012, 02:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

Finishing up an Afterlife build for a friend for his bass. I've read elsewhere that people have used the flatline on bass with good results. I was slightly underwhelmed by it. Sounds great on guitar, but through my bass the compressor didn't seem to be as responsive. Would this be a simple change to C1? Any thoughts are definitely appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Ian

midwayfair

By "not as responsive" do you mean it wasn't doing as much compression, or that you were losing a lot of lows?

If you mean that you were losing frequency response, increasing C1 to ~.047-.056 uF should be sufficient. You'll probably need to change C2 as well, and you may need to add a resistor on the input to prevent the bass from overloading the input stage and distorting.

If you aren't getting as much compression as you'd like, try increasing R7. You'll lose some highs but not much of anything in the range of a bass guitar.

irmcdermott

Quote from: midwayfair on August 28, 2012, 03:32:23 PM
If you aren't getting as much compression as you'd like, try increasing R7. You'll lose some highs but not much of anything in the range of a bass guitar.

that's what I meant. thanks, I'll give that a try.

icecycle66

Following this thread.
I'm itching for my own afterlife, I'd like to wait and see how your bass mods come out.

Briman1974

How did this all turn out on the bass? Im making one for my guitar and my bass player is looking at me making a bass compressor. Did the mods make it sound good on bass?

thesameage

jimilee

I haven't changed anything, sounds fine to me.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesameage

That's what someone on talkbass said too.

irmcdermott

In the end I just stuck with the stock values and it sounded really good for what my friend wanted.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.