News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedal Geeks United is up and running!

Started by culturejam, August 26, 2012, 08:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Quote from: angrykoko on August 27, 2012, 05:39:54 PM
mildly off topic but thought I'd ask before I invest too much effort.

Putting together parts orders across multiple projects is a PITA.  I'm always afraid I'll miss something and then .. there's that 6.00 shipping charge again.  So that's the main driver for this.

I've been thinking about building a site that was more focused around BOM's and ordering parts.
Something like mouser "projects" but with no vendor dependency.

You'd be able to create a project.
Add link's to the schematics & layouts and board ordering (not embed them, just link to the websites).
Add or import the parts and quantities, even be able to mark things as "optional" or "Mods".
Keep them private or share.

Then when you wanted to build a project or a couple of different projects the site would pull everything together so you would get a "super" BOM for all selected projects and quantities.

I have more ideas for features floating around for this too.. but, anyone think the basic idea sounds useful?

Mouser certainly makes it easy. I've had the same thought and polished up my BOMs and shared them here in the members' projects forum.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5703.0
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

angrykoko

Quote from: jubal81 on August 27, 2012, 06:22:24 PM
Quote from: angrykoko on August 27, 2012, 05:39:54 PM
mildly off topic but thought I'd ask before I invest too much effort.

Putting together parts orders across multiple projects is a PITA.  I'm always afraid I'll miss something and then .. there's that 6.00 shipping charge again.  So that's the main driver for this.

I've been thinking about building a site that was more focused around BOM's and ordering parts.
Something like mouser "projects" but with no vendor dependency.

You'd be able to create a project.
Add link's to the schematics & layouts and board ordering (not embed them, just link to the websites).
Add or import the parts and quantities, even be able to mark things as "optional" or "Mods".
Keep them private or share.

Then when you wanted to build a project or a couple of different projects the site would pull everything together so you would get a "super" BOM for all selected projects and quantities.

I have more ideas for features floating around for this too.. but, anyone think the basic idea sounds useful?

Mouser certainly makes it easy. I've had the same thought and polished up my BOMs and shared them here in the members' projects forum.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5703.0

Yeah, but you can only add mouser parts.. if you can find them or figure them out :)... i'm thinking of something more generic and simple.

If it's a bonehead idea then that's ok.. don't be afraid to tell me so.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

jubal81

Quote from: angrykoko on August 27, 2012, 06:30:55 PM
Yeah, but you can only add mouser parts.. if you can find them or figure them out :)... i'm thinking of something more generic and simple.

It's a cool idea, but what you have in mind would require quite a bit of interface coding.
If I understand you, a project BOM on this site would just have a series of dropdown boxes with options.
(Like in the capacitors dropdown, you can choose box, mylar, etc.)
When you're done, you press one button and it adds it to a 'master shopping cart' across all sites. Then when you're done, one more button press orders everything for you.

It'd be awesome, but it would take someone who knows a lot about coding to get determined to do it. Mouser is actually set up really well - as long as you know exactly what you need.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

angrykoko

Quote from: jubal81 on August 27, 2012, 06:52:12 PM
Quote from: angrykoko on August 27, 2012, 06:30:55 PM

It's a cool idea, but what you have in mind would require quite a bit of interface coding.
If I understand you, a project BOM on this site would just have a series of dropdown boxes with options.
(Like in the capacitors dropdown, you can choose box, mylar, etc.)
When you're done, you press one button and it adds it to a 'master shopping cart' across all sites. Then when you're done, one more button press orders everything for you.

It'd be awesome, but it would take someone who knows a lot about coding to get determined to do it. Mouser is actually set up really well - as long as you know exactly what you need.

I'm an enterprise developer/architect so the development part is taken care of :)
I just suck at any sort of branding.. art work type stuff.
I'd be suprised if anyone besides large Mouser or Digikey type places had any sort of interfacing that would be more sophisticated than screen scraping or url loading of carts.. but.. cross that bridge if I come to it.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

culturejam

Just a little bump to remind folks about the site.  :)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

AllenM

I signed up ealier today and have been checking my email (including spam folder) and have not received an email to log into the site.

User name is AllenM

Stig

This sounds like a really good concept. Good thinking.

For the Europe guys there's also musikding which has the feature to save your chart locally and then upload it later on with the possibility to edit it. It's saved as an csv file I think.
This could perhaps be added along mouser ect.

hammerheadmusicman

I signed up, and haven't had an email, in inbox,spam,bin anything :/

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

AllenM

UPDATE - I went ahead and tried to login and got the message that I was not authorized and another email would be sent and this time it showed up in my email!

AllenM

hammerheadmusicman

Still ot doing it for me :/ have tried several times! Gonna get a hundred emails tomorrow!

culturejam

Weird. I just activated all the users that were in the queue. You guys should be good to go now.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

fendman

hammerheadmusicman

croquet hoop

Bump. Is it still possible to register? Whenever I try, I get the message "Sorry, the selected image is not correct". I retried a few times in case I really misread the captcha, to no avail. And nothing in my spam folder either.

rullywowr

Quote from: croquet hoop on May 14, 2013, 03:57:43 PM
Bump. Is it still possible to register? Whenever I try, I get the message "Sorry, the selected image is not correct". I retried a few times in case I really misread the captcha, to no avail. And nothing in my spam folder either.

Same here.  I get the same message and tried the captcha at least 5 times.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!