News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

HiFi Cave Dweller?

Started by insomniac2295, August 26, 2012, 07:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insomniac2295

So the Cave Dweller is described as a "medium-fi" delay. Is there any way to make it more hifi like a digital delay? Thanks

madbean

No...there's just not enough going on in it to really bolster the fidelity. For that, I suggest either the "Sea Urchin" in the Extra Projects section, Rebote 2.5 or the Echo Base.

You are not really going to get much of a hi-fi type digital delay out of a PT2399-- it's frequency response is pretty low by guitar standards (which is why it is useful for doing analog modeled type stuff).

aballen

+1 on the echo base, pretty amazing pedal, and someone out there sells a great PCB.

I'm fairly new at this, but mine turned out really well(by my standards at least)

DutchMF

Off topic, but: That looks pretty good, aballen! Gutshots? Maybe a build report?

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

aballen

I did not mean to go OT, but the Echo Base was mentioned, and I wanted to say what a great design it is.

I'm not exactly proud of the gutshot.  Not that it is a mess, but I could have planned the mods a little better.  It would have been cleaner.

9Lives

Has anyone got around to building the *bonus* dual cave dweller? I'm going by radioshack today to get some regulators. Then I'm gonna build it. Does it just double the delay time? I don't like hifi, I'm inlove w the old tape deck style echo. The more dark and degraded the better (hmm... Kinda like highschool)

aballen

You mean the cave dweller II?  I want to build one, but I have not had time to etch a board.  Is anyone selling them?  This is definately on my short list after the low rider.

9Lives

ya that's the one. I'll etch you one if bean doesn't care. If about to etch myself one. I can just do 2 at once if you want?

aballen

heck yeah, I'd appreciate it!

I'll happily toss you a few bucks for postage and such.  Just get the ok first, and then PM me.

9Lives

hellz ya. Just to make sure were talking about the same thing. I'm talking a bout the dual pt2399 cavedweller on the PDF.

madbean

Quote from: 9Lives on August 28, 2012, 04:26:12 PM
ya that's the one. I'll etch you one if bean doesn't care. If about to etch myself one. I can just do 2 at once if you want?

Have at it.

9Lives

ight, hey Brian? What us with the C Dwell II? Does it use dual PT's for double delay time?

aballen

There are definitely two in the schematic

wolfingsworth

Anyone out there know of a demo for the CDII? I would love to hear it! Also, does the 'DUB' edition have the same issue with "darkening" the overall sound like single version?

aballen

I wouldn't call it an issue, its a feature :D it makes the Cave Dweller..... well cavey