News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First Foray into DIY Synth World...

Started by raulduke, August 21, 2012, 11:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

Probably the wrong forum for this.... but this is the DIY favourite Rene Schmitz MS20 filter that I made for myself.

I converted his schematic to use LM13700's as I don't have the CA3080 he uses in his design.

I'm running this on a +9V supply, with a voltage inverter PCB providing +9V and -9V.

I guess the headroom is less than using +/-12V but I haven't noticed any other side effects of running it at +/-9V.

I also added a SHO circuit to use as a preamp, as I wanted to get a bit of 'dirt' out of this thing as well (plugins still don't do analogue dirt as well as the real thing IMO).

It sounds really cool running drumloops, samples etc. through. It will also be usefull for warming up my synth plugins etc.

The MS20's filter section is famous for its aggressive filter section; I'd love an MS20 but don't have the wonga.

The finish is minging as I couldn't wait to box this sucker up   :D

I think I may be hooked on a whole other world of DIY stuff now (wish me luck  ;))

night-B

Wait wait wait! So you have a moog  :o I'm jealous  :-\
On the opposite side of my analog stompbox building, I work on DAW with a Maudio  midi keyboard and guitar rig for guitar samples. I'm dreaming of a moog every night...

raulduke

Hey dude, cheers!

Yeah I have a Moog Prodigy and it blasts the pants of any VST Synth IMO. I bought it a while back.

You have to give it 5-10 minutes for the oscillators to settle for correct tuning  :D

I also have a Dave Smith instruments Evolver, which I am not so keen on to be honest.

I have been into 'electronic' music production for ages now so have got acquired some ok kit.

I actually made a load of multi-samples from the Prodigy, which you are welcome too if you have a use for them (loading into a sampler etc.).

Another one to look at is this: http://mutable-instruments.net/shruthi1

Let me know.

nzCdog

Epic!  There's a whole world of synth goodness going on right there. Demo perhaps??? Enjoy :)

the3secondrule

Wow sweet! Any spare boards floating around for this one?
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

lincolnic

Jurassic

Wow.. nice build! Do you have schematics for this one?
+1 for demo!

raulduke

Cheers Dudes,

3secondrule; there is one PCB left (another dude has PM'd me and I need to reply). PM me if you are interested. Please note you will need to be able to provide +/- 9/12/15V supply in some way (I used a voltage inverter board similar to madbeans roadrage).

Schematic is attached (.pdf).

There are much fancier filters around but this one seems pretty cool to me at the moment. I may move onto something more fancy for my next go (Moog Ladder filter maybe  8))

Resonance behaviour seems very dependant on input level (which makes sense I guess as looking at the schem, the resonance is how much signal is fed back to the filter).

I will do a demo for this one for sure as a few people on BYOC have also asked for one.

Do you want to hear a guitar based demo, or hear other stuff (drum loops etc.) running through it?

Cheers!