News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My day

Started by angrykoko, August 18, 2012, 02:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrykoko

My day started at 5am... apparently I'm just an old fart that can no longer sleep.
Head to bathroom to relive the nightly water build up.
Cats follow me in as usual but, today, while I'm releaving myself.. one decides the while bowl thing looks fun to jump onto.
Panic sets in as I try to laser aim and with all my might try not to think about the splashing that's going on.
All is going well.
Cat turns and... yep.. splah!  in it slips into the...well you know.
Panic!  Stop mid stream, grab cat that's panicking and trying to race away...
Throw cat into bathtub and proceed to be clawed to meat shreds while trying to wash cat.
(later in the day I learn that cats freak when put under running water... and I should have just filled the bathtub with some water and gently splashed.... sigh...I wanted to punch this messenger)
All the while... trying to be quiet so wife and kid don't wake up (small house).

8am arrive at work
Open outlook... see email about code review I didn't attend (blood pressure rises).
Read email, there's only one thing about a security requirement; which I happily reply that I've taken care of with the vendor last week.
8:15 - Dev product manager at cube... so let's talk about the code review thing (20 mins of my life gone).
8:30 - IM from other lead..  "Hey whats up with the thing from the code review, do you really think they..."
8:50 - Send email to vendor confirming they are taking care of it.
9:15 - CC'd on email to vendor asking about code review item (sent from yet a 3rd person on team)
10:00 - My developer shows up "Hey, did you hear about the code review?" (up to 4 people now)
10:15 - Gather up all emails from me to vendor over last 2 weeks and send a WTF??? email to everyone.
10:20 - A WTF email tends to gather the target folks in the email at your cube... this turned out to be worse than what they were doing to begin with.
11:45 - Attend large group meeting. CTO sits next to me....  I make what has to be the worst possible attempt at a joke to him.... blank stares looking at me around the table.

I swear none of this is made up.  There is even more!  This is just my morning!

Ever have one of these days?  You know, where you end it staring blankly at a computer screen telling a bunch of folks you've never met all about it on a website for guitar pedals?

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

alanp

My department at work has 'days'... some other room is short of workers? Not a problem, we'll send you some! (By we, I mean our supervisor.)

What? We'll be short of people ourselves? Not a problem, we'll just make everyone work harder. Stop processing some orders so people aren't run off their feet? Nah, we'll just make the man on the scales and strapper double up as a carton handler. (This would be me. Oh, joy.)

That said, with the way the world is going I'm happy to have a job with seniority written into the contract.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

nzCdog

Oh man... :o  That's one right out of the bag!
The cat thing was just wrong.  Hope tomorrow's better and you can find a sense of humour about this wacky day.

madbean

Too much this

Not enough this

juansolo

Quote from: angrykoko on August 18, 2012, 02:21:42 AMEver have one of these days?  You know, where you end it staring blankly at a computer screen telling a bunch of folks you've never met all about it on a website for guitar pedals?

Yep, my last day at work was yesterday. I realised I'd finally had enough of the bullshit and politics and handed my resignation in a month ago (it was a long time coming to be fair).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

angrykoko

Quote from: nzCdog on August 18, 2012, 04:15:00 AM
The cat thing was just wrong.
Hope tomorrow's better and you can find a sense of humour about this wacky day.

Oh yeah, I have a sense of humor about it. How could you not? 
Having a cool wife that handed me a beer when I got home always helps.

And like Bean posted... It might as well have been TPS reports... I hope I get a meeting with the Bob's on Monday  :)   

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

angrykoko

Quote from: juansolo on August 18, 2012, 07:10:50 AM
Quote from: angrykoko on August 18, 2012, 02:21:42 AMEver have one of these days?  You know, where you end it staring blankly at a computer screen telling a bunch of folks you've never met all about it on a website for guitar pedals?

Yep, my last day at work was yesterday. I realised I'd finally had enough of the bullshit and politics and handed my resignation in a month ago (it was a long time coming to be fair).

You are my personal hero. 
We had a guy helping me do some work around the house (paint, drywall etc).  He quit his job at IBM for the same reasons as you and was just so happy to be doing what he did.... and he did great work btw. 
He and I used to trade stories about being in the programming field... I envied him so much.