News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Honey dripper audio path?

Started by Sigesmundninja, August 17, 2012, 08:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigesmundninja

Built a Honey-dripper yesterday and while trying to rock it before I box it I'm not getting any juice out of it, its dead silent. Since I havn't "built" any audio probe what i usually do is cut the outputwire from the board and start poking around with it along the audio patch.

The problem is I can't really follow the schematics for this circuit, It's a little to advance for me. So could anybody give me any direction on the audiopath? where should I poke around? Is there anyway I can identify broken IC's whit just the audio-"probe".

/Markus

nzCdog

Well... not having built the honey dripper, I can't give you specific advice but...
Definitely use a proper audio probe.... without the cap on the end of the test lead you'll risk DC bias getting into your pickups, and if that happens they may well just die.

Connect the output of the pedal to the amp, and your audio probe to the guitar, and start testing for signal going through.  Start at the output on the pcb with your probe and work your way backwards, part by part towards the input. When you reach a spot that don't pass your guitar signal when it should (ie pretty much isn't earth or 9V) then that might be your problem... resolder the joint or replace the part etc. The pins for the ICs are numbered too, check your parts data sheets so you can check the right pins for the right things.  If your unsure, make specific notes of where you ain't getting sound, exactly which pin/side of component etc and post for someone to review.  Be systematic and mark the project sheet with a pencil.

Bear in mind that 99% of the time it will be a simple mistake and not a faulty part, so double check your work systematically.
Good Luck

stecykmi

if you exclude all the envelope generating circuitry, it's really not so complicated. In this order, check:

IC1A + B, pins 1 and 7
IC2, pin 6
IC3, pin 6
IC4A + B, pins 1 and 7

these are the outputs of all the signal opamps. the rest of the circuit is either power or envelope generation.

jkokura

Quote from: nzCdog on August 17, 2012, 10:38:41 AM
Well... not having built the honey dripper, I can't give you specific advice but...
Definitely use a proper audio probe.... without the cap on the end of the test lead you'll risk DC bias getting into your pickups, and if that happens they may well just die.

Connect the output of the pedal to the amp, and your audio probe to the guitar, and start testing for signal going through.  Start at the output on the pcb with your probe and work your way backwards, part by part towards the input...

I think that's why I actually advocate using a test oscillator. You don't need to worry about a guitar or any issues with frying it.

And actually, I would recommend you go the other way - plug the guitar/oscillatory into the inpup of the effect, then use a probe that's connected to your amp. So the disconnect is at the ouptut of the effect. Still start at the output, and work your way to the front. So you go from no sound at all to sound.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Sigesmundninja

I built a audio-probe like you said and poked around. turns out it was just a bad IC, swapped the 4558 and it worked! thank you guys!