News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tweak Tone Delay

Started by culturejam, August 07, 2012, 03:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Decided to box this one up while I'm waiting on the snazzy red PCBs to arrive.

I posted about this circuit in the Member Projects subforum as well. So the basic specs are that this guy goes from 60ms to about 800ms, and the repeats are very noise-free all the way up to the end. The last 100ms or so there is a little noise, but considering there is no companding in this circuit, it's quite acceptable.

The other "feature" is that there is a trimmer to control the high-end rolloff on the repeats. More rolloff = darker, less noisy repeats.

The layout includes a set of pads to add external modulation, but in this build I used the pads to include a resistor to adjust the value of the time pot to the sweet spot. Also on this build, I used a multi-turn trimmer so that the output volume can be adjusted to unity (or slightly above, if desired).

Anway, here's a short demo to show min and mix delay time:

I used two knobs from an Ibanez BC-9 bi-chorus that I repaired some time ago, and a third metal knob to differentiate the Time control. Graphics are stamped.

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

lincolnic

Loving the look of this guy. Sounds good too!

GrindCustoms

You've just motivated me to make a super modded Neptune.......... ;D
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

angrykoko

That sounds great, It sounds really clean.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

culturejam

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

I put in an order for short run of these PCBs. Should be here in about 3 weeks. But, you can also get the same type of long repeats with a few parts value changes to the Sea Urchin or Neptune PCBs, if you have those. The circuits are quite similar.

Over at the BYOC forum, CRBmoa is doing a new group buy for Neptune boards. So you could get one of those and make a few adjustments to get the Tweak Tone sound. He should have those boards about a week before I'll get mine in, and he ordered a lot more than me.

bigrigg

ooh shiny.  Me likey.  The stamped pocket watch looks great.

icecycle66

Stamped graphic?
That sounds simple.

What ink and/or stamp did you use?
I tried stamping metal enclosurees once and the ink would never dry.  It just left very faded smears on the box.

culturejam

The ink is critical. I use Staz-On brand ink. It's made for adhering to metal, glass, and other non-porous surfaces. You can get it at most craft stores in several colors (including white!).

mgwhit

Quote from: culturejam on August 07, 2012, 06:06:15 PM
The ink is critical. I use Staz-On brand ink. It's made for adhering to metal, glass, and other non-porous surfaces. You can get it at most craft stores in several colors (including white!).

Can you clear-coat over it?  Do you even need to?  Looks great -- and the delay's not too shabby either! ;)

icecycle66

Quote from: culturejam on August 07, 2012, 06:06:15 PM

Cool.

culturejam

Quote from: mgwhit on August 07, 2012, 07:17:39 PM
Can you clear-coat over it?  Do you even need to? 

You can, but you have to be careful. If you spray directly, it can make the ink run. In the past, I have stood back a couple feet and sprayed over the pedal and let the clear come down over it in like a mist-cloud. Takes longer and wastes clear coat, but it doesn't run.

I likely doesn't need to be cleared over. It's pretty tough. But, if you rub it vigorous (haha), you can actually peel it off. It seems to solidify into a very thin rubber-gel substance and it can be removed. That actually turns out to be a benefit if you screw up big time.

irmcdermott

I wonder how it would with stand some heat... clear powder would be a "dry" application.

Might have to try that out.

mgwhit

Thanks!  I'm definitely going to try this out.  I wanted to use stamps on my Aristocrat last year, but when I went into craft stores and started asking questions all I got were annoyed looks and no help.

culturejam

slimtriggers

They have stamps at Wal-mart, I don't think they have the right ink, though.  Also search around the scrap booking areas of craft stores.