News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Not feuding with the neighbors (sigh)

Started by midwayfair, August 03, 2012, 02:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Dang. Your situation sucks man. Sorry you have to deal with this. I don't know but honestly given your hobby it might be best to think about getting your own home, at least as a longer term goal. No matter what, someone on the other side of a 2x6 wall may eventually get tired of your "noise".

I have always owned a house and I wouldn't have it any other way. Owning a home is pretty easy in the Midwest though (where people move to after they have given up on their dreams)  ;D

nzCdog

Bummer.  Hope you find a good resolution... he sounds like a douche to be honest.  But, we all have to share space somewhere... and its always worth keeping the peace with neighbours. :-\

BaldPaul

???I've never heard of buying half a duplex. ??? How does that work? What about roof maintenance, Plumbing issues etc. Sorry to be off topic but that just baffles me.
This post is for entertainment purposes only. My entertainment.

jkokura

You might think of a Duplex as an upstairs downstairs, but they are commonly side by side. In that case, all you do is share one wall, but the properties are entirely separate.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pickdropper

Quote from: BaldPaul on August 10, 2012, 06:11:57 PM
???I've never heard of buying half a duplex. ??? How does that work? What about roof maintenance, Plumbing issues etc. Sorry to be off topic but that just baffles me.

I can't speak for all Duplexes, but around here most of them have a management company that charges a monthly association fee.  That fee goes towards maintenance in common areas, such as roofing and plumbing in the common wall.  Of course, each association has its own bylaws about responsibility.

If there are plumbing issues is a non-common area, it usually is the responsibility of the homeowner, again depending on the bylaws.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

Ours is a separate house that shares a single wall, like Jacob said.

So ... my solution to this problem turned out to be that I'm building a 6x8 isolation booth in my basement. It's partly done: I've got the wall frames up and I'm hanging the door tonight. After that, it's just a matter of putting up four layers of drywall and figuring out what to stuff the ceiling with. I even got to use the couch that's been in our basement for three years that we couldn't get back out of the basement when we were moving in! It's going to be a comfy little guitar cave. Exhausting to build by myself, though.

gtr2

Builders building buildings to play pedals built by builder.  :)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

midwayfair

So, it turns out that when the neighbors bang on your wall for playing an *acoustic* that the cops in Baltimore are not thrilled about getting called.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Haberdasher

cops mad at the neighbors for calling over acoustic guitar, or mad at you for playing it?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

midwayfair

Quote from: Haberdasher on February 18, 2013, 11:31:37 PM
cops mad at the neighbors for calling over acoustic guitar, or mad at you for playing it?

Sounded like one was pretty mad at the neighbors for calling them. The other was very calm and suggested that I play in a room that doesn't share a wall to keep the peace. Neither seemed to think I was being unreasonable thinking I could play an acoustic guitar in my house.

If I could find something for the ceiling of it, the practice space in the basement is done and I would stop causing trouble. Also they claimed they were "sleeping" at 5:00 pm.  ::) Honestly, though, banging on the wall over an acoustic during daylight hours is approaching completely unreasonable and I wouldn't be surprised if he called in the future at the merest hint of a guitar no matter how loud.

I didn't even know they were home. His truck wasn't on the parking pad and I didn't see her car.

BraindeadAudio

Well, there is only one solution for this problem. Ampeg V4, A Les Paul custom, down tuned to C sharp, and a Muff derivative, lay down some extended riffs like this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjO1FMO-0bI let em bang on the wall all the want eventually they will leave.

Or, not.

G.G.

hammerheadmusicman

I really feel your pain dude! We moved into a flat a few months ago, but fortunately for me, the guy who lived in the flat before me was a trumpet player and used to practice all the time, so they are grateful to have me! They don't know it, but i use my DR Z AirBrake Clone i built - constantly, it's great, quiet amp/good tone.

good luck!!

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..