News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

KOT Builders & Users (clipping question)

Started by irmcdermott, July 20, 2012, 05:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

Hey everyone,

Been thinking of doing a JHS Double Barrel-esque pedal with a KOT on one side of it. I was wondering for those of you that use the KOT, I only want to have one external diode switch rather than two, so of the clipping options, it there 1 of the 2 that you recommend I jumper to always have connected in the circuit and then have the other switch as an external option.

Ian

mgwhit

I don't think the "both on" option sounds terribly good in the KoT (and neither does the manufacturer), and the hard clipping option is nothing to write home about.

If you want to have one of the clipping options "always on", you're already eliminating the "clean boost" (i.e. no clipping) option.  Once you're just down to the two clipping options, I think you can use a 2PDT On-On to get a hard/soft clipping switch by using half of the switch to connect one clipping option into the circuit while the other is disconnected and vice-versa.  Does that make any sense?

But if it's simpler to have one always on, make it the overdrive (soft clipping) side.  That's what people like about the KoT.

irmcdermott

Quote from: mgwhit on July 20, 2012, 06:11:23 PM
I don't think the "both on" option sounds terribly good in the KoT (and neither does the manufacturer), and the hard clipping option is nothing to write home about.

If you want to have one of the clipping options "always on", you're already eliminating the "clean boost" (i.e. no clipping) option.  Once you're just down to the two clipping options, I think you can use a 2PDT On-On to get a hard/soft clipping switch by using half of the switch to connect one clipping option into the circuit while the other is disconnected and vice-versa.  Does that make any sense?

But if it's simpler to have one always on, make it the overdrive (soft clipping) side.  That's what people like about the KoT.

I'm liking the sound of the one DPDT switch, just trying to figure out how to wire that in my head. Not at home right now. Thanks Matthew.

mgwhit

Wire red lugs to the distortion switch and green lugs to the overdrive switch.  I think you might even be able to get all three settings if you use an On-Off-On.  I know people have done it.

irmcdermott

Quote from: mgwhit on July 20, 2012, 06:37:22 PM

Wire red lugs to the distortion switch and green lugs to the overdrive switch.  I think you might even be able to get all three settings if you use an On-Off-On.  I know people have done it.

You are awesome, kind sir. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for always helping.